chips for more mpg

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LBZ | LLY)' started by pepper, Feb 20, 2007.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I just purchased 2007 2500HD crew cab. Current fuel economy is 14 mpg with about 75% of miles on the highway, driving 5mph within limit. I'm looking for a chip to increase mpg, clear codes and a small increase in power would be nice but I don't want to overtax stock tranny. I would appreciate any input on which chip would be best for my needs and why. It seems from the advertisements that they all basically do the same thing.

2. 06bowtie_guy

06bowtie_guy Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey there, Welcome to the site. Great choice on a truck too.

I'm going to recomend you get EFI Live. I just picked it up about 1 week ago. Currently for the LBZ engine they are public beta testing it but it's a great program. You can change the tune so it's how you want it. Can change any perameter. Read and clear codes, can set it to log data. Most venders over on thedieselplace offer a free tune with purchase. I'm really happy with mine. waytogo Check out www.efilive.com.

However of couse not everyone is into tinkering with their trucks programing in which case the Edge Juice with Attitude is a good choice. My buddy has one on his LLY and it's pretty wild.

Either way I'd recomend getting a pyro gauge. Nice deal about the edge you can install the probe and the attitude display thing is a full set of gauges.

In regards to your mileage, I've noticed with my truck the mileage is getting better. Currently I'm up to 21,000KM so it's still like new but everyone states that it keeps getting better as it breaks in.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

I am happy with my Banks Six Gun.

4. Patrick@DPP

Patrick@DPP Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome to Towrig.com!

Putting some miles on the truck should help alot. Slowly over the first 20k miles I have gained 3 mpg on my Ford. Most diesels see the same increases. I also own a trucking company and the same principal applies to the big engines.

Most any power adder will give you a couple MPG if you can continue to drive the truck normally. Thats the hard part.

If you don't want to go with the Edge Attitude monitor there are other options. You may want to check out either the TS Heads-up digital display or Quadzilla has the Commander. We sell alot of the commander digital displays. They work as a stand alone gauge so you have no need for a module like the Edge Juice with Attitude. The Quadzilla or TS can be used with most anything. The Edge setup is also a great product, just laying out some options for you to reaserch.

5. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

first off is it the LBZ or the new LMM? I also vote for the banks 6 gun as it has lots of features to protect your trannie and engine and the reports of several MPg aren't bad either. It cost more but you get more.

6. syoung

syoung New Member

Syoung

Hello, I Am New To The Site
    I Have An 2005 Duramax With Approx 45k Mi
    I Reasently Put A Banks Cat Back Exaust And
    Air Intake On The Truck, Trying To Get A Little
    More Performance.
    Install Went Fine, But I Am Not Sure My Fuel Mi
    Is Any Better At All, And Now The Truck Seems
    A Little Sluggish At Below 2000 Rpms, After 2k It
    Seems To Pu And Run Good. Do I Have To Chip It
    Now To Get Some Better Low End And Mpg.
    Also When I Step On It And It Gears Down
    It Runs Fine But The Engine Sounds Like It Pings
    (like A Gas Engine With Timing To Far Advanced)
    Does Anyone Else Have This Happening?
    I Do Pull A Boat, And I Also Pull A 34' Rv
    So I Am Just Trying To Get A Little Better
    Without Tearing Up The Engine.
    Thanks.

7. BBWOLFTOO

BBWOLFTOO New Member

If I were you I would not think to hard about the transmission. I think you have an Allison Transmission. These tranneys are the best towing tranmission in production today. If you take care of the regular maintance it will pull you down the road for many years.
    P.S. I have worked for Allison Transmission for almost 30 yrs.