common problems on 99 dodge ram cummins

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by stumo, Apr 26, 2007.

1. stumo

stumo Member

i just bought a 99 dodge ram 2500 quad cab cummins diesel. what are common problems with these trucks that i should watch out for and how to fix them so that i wont have to worry about them to much anymore. as of right now it is stock but has a pyrometer, boost pressure, and transmission temp gauges. it has 84,ooo miles on it. i am putting up some pictures of it.

Attached Files:

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider Member

Clean truck. Although im new to all the diesel stuff, i just bought a 99 myself. The Vp44 lifter pump is the weak link i hear for our trucks. Im about to replace my bad one.

3. cm cows

cm cows Well-Known Member

Media:
    the lift pump/vp-44 and the auto tranny. the lift pumps from the factory are weak and fail often, so it is a easy fix, get a holley blue pump and install it on the frame rail and it will raise the fuel pressure helping to save your vp. i dont know if you have a auto or manual but the tq converter is not very good from the factory either. but it can be fixed with a new one and a value body upgrade or a shift kit will help a lot. oh and nice pickup i like the racin stripeswaytogo

4. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Sweet looking truck!

Like posted, Lift pumps take out the fragile VP44 injection pump. I prefer the FASS systems for lift pump replacement. More complete and better kit.

Other than that, the VB should be upgraded to help the transmission live. If you are going for extra power, we need to talk about your goals to get you the correct transmission upgrades the first time and cut down on down time.

5. stumo

stumo Member

as of right now i dont plan on power upgrades. but in the future i do but i will probably be at least a year before it get there.

6. stumo

stumo Member

i have the auto tranny in it. it dosnt shift hard and seems to be running good. im more concerned about the block. i heard there is a block that is pron to cracking. and when i bought it i got a 2 year 25,000 mile warrenty that as long as i keep up with maintence all i pay is a $200 deductable and it gets replaced including the motor.

7. cm cows

cm cows Well-Known Member

Media:
    53 blocks could or couldnt crack theres lots out there not cracked, i wouldnt worry bout it untill it does IF it does