Coolant Filter Install 6.0

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by powerboatr, Aug 29, 2006.

1. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I ordered the kit from a source and , normally he puts together good kits, but this one seemed to be missing piece parts, the long bolt with spacer only had one washer, the two bolts that attach the filter head to the bracket were also missing washers.
    Me being a licensed aircraft fixer, this bothers me.

Anyway to the fun part, the truck was cold and so were the outside temps 47F, but warming up. I assembled all the goodies like Teflon tape, washers, and tools.
    The first order of business was installing the filter head mount. It is straight forward and attaches in two places.
    The first is (all references to sides are if your sitting in the drivers seat) the right side upper intercooler support. Loosen it up about 5 turns, no need to remove the battery cable plastic bracket on power cable to cooler bracket. The filter bracket has a notch in it to slide up under the big rubber bushing, be careful not to cut the bushing, push it up enough to align the lower mount hole with the large hole in the lower part of the cooler bracket.
    Now insert the long bolt, with self supplied washer, into the lower mount hole and secure with nut and supplied washer.

The filter head gets two plugs and two valve or barb inserts.
    I chose to go with the optional valves to make filter changes easier.
    All fittings get Teflon tape and tightened very well, I chose to close the valves and fill the filter with coolant 50/50 and attached the filter head as an assembly to the bracket and tighten the bolts again add self supplied washers
    Now the easy parts are done

Step back and take a deep breath, then drain about a gallon of coolant from the engine; I didn’t not do this and had quite a gusher when i cut the heater hose.
    I decided to install the “T” fitting just behind the temperature control valve. I do not like the hose clamp arrangement but I am left with it until i can get more Stainless hose and proper fittings. The “T” supplied works well but I don’t like using hose clamps.

Now attach the hose and tighten al the clamps, keeping the valves closed at the filter head. Route the other small hose from the outlet side of the filter over the top of the fan shroud to the to the small return line on the left side upper radiator and install the other supplied small “T”.

Open all valves and refill drained coolant or do like i did and replace lost coolant.
    Start truck let her warm up and check for leaks.

Attached Files:

2. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Filter

Thats is something I am interested in, where did you get it from?:rolleyes:

3. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    dieselsite.com
    i beleive bob still carries em
    sorry i have been vacationing :D

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Pretty nice

5. Bevis

Bevis Member

Media:
    That's nice...got one coming, should be any day now. Got mine from the same place.

6. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    filter

let us know how you like it, interested in one myself