Correct Installation of top cover on IP on a 6.2 diesel!?!?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by OffRoader81, Apr 6, 2005.

1. OffRoader81

OffRoader81 Active Member

Is there anything when putting the top cover of the IP pump on that has to be lined up correctly? I heard that you have to line the governor up right, or the engine ran rev up and blow?!?! This is on a 6.2 liter. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Brenton

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Hopefully tRustyK5 will see your post on CK5 he is pretty good with the 6.2's or someone will chime in here.

3. CoastalDav

CoastalDav Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I may not totally understand what your asking, but here's what I think your asking. If this is way off just disregard.

If you have the water pump off and the inner cover and can see the gears, they are notched and at top and at dead center should allign with each other top and bottom.

If you've just installed the injection pump you should a line up the mark on the injection pump with the one on the engine. This is supposed to give you top dead center with the injection pump. If you have miles on the engine, and have not changed the timming chain, you may have to move it a little one side or the other to get it just right. They make a diesel timing light you put the sensor in the glow plug hole.

Hope this helps.

Dave