correct towing position of trailer

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by barryscuba, Jun 28, 2009.

1. barryscuba

barryscuba New Member

:confused::confused:Question, I have a 5th wheel trailer that I tow with a 2003 dodge 2500, they recommend about 6 inches of clearance between the truck body and trailer, if I adjust my trailer pin for that clearance the trailer is not riding level as is recommended but the clearance is important, with the trailer level I only have about 4 1/2 to 5 inches of clearance. What is the correct or best approach.

2. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

Does you trailer have adjustable suspention so that the ride hight can me adjusted up or down to level the trailer out?

3. barryscuba

barryscuba New Member

correct position for towing trailer

No the trailer does not have adjustable suspension, if change the pin height to get more clearence it rakes the trailer to the rear, if there is more weight on the rear axle will i cause damage to the bearing or just more wear on the rear tires?:confused:

4. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

Yes when you change the load ratio between the truck and trailer it will over load the bearings.

5. WD40

WD40 Active Member

You can be very careful and the 4.5 to 5 in will be ok, you may want to watch out for RR crossing and dips in the road. How large or long is your fifth wheel and what does it weigh?waytogo

6. UAWDIESEL

UAWDIESEL New Member

MY 5TH WHEEL IS 35FT. AND IF I MEASURE FRONT OF FRAME TO GROUND & REAR OF FRAME TO GROUND IT'S 3 1/2 INCHS. DIFFERENT . THIS HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME ALOT OF MILES . I HAVE 7 1/4 INCHS FROM BED RAIL TO 5 TH . HOPE THIS HELPS YOU . :popcorn:

7. barryscuba

barryscuba New Member

correct position for 5th wheel

Sorry I didnt get back sooner, havent checked difference in front to rear height, I do have airbags on suspension. The truck is set so when pulling the trailer its level, if I reduce the air pressure and lower the rear I can than lower the pin on the trailer and increase distance between trailer and truck bed but give up truck riding level when pulling trailer. I seems to be a trade off between the two.

8. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

I may be a little late here but you could do what I did for my 5th wheel trailer and jack it up and flip the axles over and that gave me almost 5 inches of lift on the trailer.

9. mfurrh55

mfurrh55 Active Member

Media:
    I had a Dodge 2500 4X4 that i pulled a 30 ft fifth wheel travel trailer, I flipped the axles under the springs, then put 2" spacers on the springs and raised it 10" had good clearance afterward, Had no problems with it

10. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

My trailer was already pretty high and I only needed about 4 or 5" so I didn't need blocks but I've seen people do it, did you ever have problems on gravel roads or rough roads or anything? Up elk hunting one year a guy had 4" blocks on his bumper pull and on the rough road he folded the front axle under from the torsion on the axle.

11. mfurrh55

mfurrh55 Active Member

Media:
    No,i used to take it up into the mountains in Utah Elk hunting, never had any trouble out of it, matter of fact a friend of mine owns it, sold it to him, he still has it set up that way, been 6 years now, no trouble, Monte

12. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

I've had no trouble with mine but I don't have the blocks just the axle flipped I'm sure that it was just from it being on such large blocks he had the trailer up so high to match his lifted truck the trailer had like 14" of lift.