Cummins Trans

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by thebird00, May 8, 2009.

1. thebird00

thebird00 Member

For the 94-98.5 Cummins, are the transmissions the 47RE? What's the difference between the 2WD and 4WD? Thanks for any info. I'm trying to figure out what it will take to make it bolt up to the NP205 in an '86 K30. burnout

2. DEMON

DEMON Well-Known Member

its a 47RH not RE.

you can convert a 2wd to 4wd if you have the right parts. for sure. I converted my '95 47rh from 4x to 2x. have to replace the output shaft, governor tubes, OD housing. you have to split the OD drum, to replace the output shaft. not a hard job itself, but not exactly a beginner job though. if you have the right fixture its easy. you have to disassemble the drum in a press the OD drum has a heavy spring pre=load. very important to know that. it'll hurt you if its not caged in a press. when you try to open it. you have to setup the splines on the clutches in the maincase, or you will fight forever trying to get the extension housing back on.

heres the 4wd junk leftover. the 2wd stuff. is similar but setup for a slip yolk output and way longer. a 47rE extension housing will NOT work. as it doesn't have the notch in the case for the governor tubes to sit in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Actually, its a 47RH in 94-95, in 96 they changed to the 47RE.

4. DEMON

DEMON Well-Known Member

yes of course.