Dang car washes...

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Sep 7, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    A new Prime Shine car wash was opened in my area so i decided to go for it since it was a promo $5. First the guy made me take everything out my bed and set it next to the building (while frustrated people watch waiting in line rotfl ) Truck came out sparkling clean afterwards but when I get home I noticed my intenna sticking out crooked. Man was I pissed, the damn car wash bent my brand new little 9" billet intenna. :mad: I tried to bend the intenna back but of course, it snapped. Now I have the idiotic radio tower stocker hanging off my fender again. :rolleyes: Got to get down to the local stereo shop for a new intenna. That was my first and last time through a car wash. Back to the bucket, hand miten, and hose for me. :D

2. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby you're suppose to take the antenna mast off before going through a car wash. :rolleyes: :) waytogo

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I had never been through one before, and none of the three employees mentioned it to me before going through. :doah:

4. Super Trucker

The car washes around here do it for you. Don't stop going to them over this, but take the old mast and the receit for the replacement mast to them. Then they'll learn to remove the mast so they don't have to pay for one.

5. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I always take my rig to the car wash. I am too busy with work to justify taking the 2hours to do every thing that the wash does in 20min. they do a pretty good job too. Not as detailed as I would do it but for $20 in 20min I cant complain. Oh yeah did I mention that it is a WRITE-OFF rotfl

Bobby. I have never had an antenna break in the car wash. You must be one of the statistics. waytogo

6. Hit-By-Thunder

Hit-By-Thunder Member

Media:
    bucket wash at home for me only, after a while the small grit in the rollers will play hell on your paint. You think 2 hrs washing is bad, try spending the whole weekend waxing the :doah: spiderwebs outta the paint

Rob/HBT

7. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I agree on the rollers. The car wash i use does it all by hand. If I had a new truck I would NEVER take it to ANY wash. But mine is 7 yrs old so the paint isnt perfect any longer.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    20 minutes and $20?!!!! :eek: I can hand wash my truck completely in about 25 minutes, and it costs me probably a dollar in soap and the electricity it takes to run the well pump for the hose. rotfl :D

9. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wash it in 25min? yes. Dry it, armor-all it, vacum it, clean trash out of it, clean windows inside and out, wipe down inside, and put air freshner in?? I dont think so. My truck gets pretty dirty since it doubles as my Office as well.

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I can wash, dry, and clean trash out in 25 minutes. I hardly ever vaccuum it out.

11. Super Trucker

You're a better man that I am, Charley Brown. It takes me over an hour to do mine.

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I've just gotten fast at it I guess. It takes me longer to do the K5, since I've got more chrome to clean off. rotfl

13. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut Well-Known Member

i wash mine every six months theres no point in keeping it clean it'll get dirty again anyways. just my two cents

14. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    I always use Prime Shine in Modesto, love the place. They use the flappy chamois type stuff, not the rollers, so scratches aren't an issue, and the air-dry doesn't scratch like drying with a towel.

prime Shine every couple weeks, full on detail (by me) once or twice a year, including Clay Bar and Wax. If you've never tried a clay bar, give it a shot, the results are AMAZING.

My new house has a garage that my truck will fit in, that will be NICE. waytogo

Marc

15. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Washing rotfl rotfl rotfl . I've just about give up on washing for a while. My truck has so many "huricane" scratches down each side it ain't even funny. I even have a scrap up the passenger side cab post from a low hanging power line. I guess one day I will get someone to buff all the scraps and scratches.