Do YOU wear your seatbelt?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Aug 5, 2005.

?

Do you wear your seatbelt?

1. Yes, I ALWAYS wear it...it's the LAW!

131 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. No, never wear mine.

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Just depends, when I remember.

25 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Lets see how many folks wear their seatbelt. Be honest. :)

2. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    The only reason I wear mine is I don't want a ticket. I'd prefer driving without it but I can't afford a fine. Should I become trapped in a burning vehicle or have my legs sheared off in an accident (would have happened once had I been wearing my seatbelt and not been thrown free of the vehicle) well...I know Johnny Cochran is probably available to handle my case waytogo

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't wear mine and got pulled over one time for it. I had my window down in my K5 blazer with my arm hanging out sitting at a light. After that I fixed my A/C, tinted my windows just a little, and kept them up. Cops could never see in well enough between the tinted windows that are already small because of it as an older truck, and the glare off the glass in the summer and water on them in the winter. I need to get the winders tinted in my Dodge now.

My cousin burned alive in her car because the seatbelt wouldn't release. My biggest fear is burning alive. Because of those two things I will never wear it. I'd rather go through the windshield and get plowed over by a truck than burn. :doah:

4. billygoatyj

billygoatyj Well-Known Member

I almost always wear mine. I was tought to as a kid and it just became habit, especially when i drove my jeep everyday for years without doors. My rear has come out of the seat a few times and had it not been for the seat belt i would have fallen out and a moving jeep without a driver is a bad thing. There are plenty of crashes where it's better to have it and those were it is better not to so i guess it's just the luck of the draw. Some people say they don't like to take the time but I just do it while I wait for the "wait to start" and "water in fuel" light to go out. But I also don't think it should be law as it would rarely affect the saftey of anyone else, exept for my example in the jeep but then again i think those were all off road and that is another topic. I've also heard several cops say they don't enforce it becouse they don't wear it either.

5. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I always wear mine, and my truck does not move until every passenger is buckled, period. Those who don't buckle, walk... :D I'm not paying tickets just because someone else decided not to wear it, and while I HATE THE FREAKING GOVERNMENT FOR GETTING INTO MY BUSINESS ON YET ANOTHER POINT THAT SHOULD BE PERSONAL CHOICE, I do believe that it is a much safer way to travel. And I speak as someone who has been in several bad wrecks back in the day when I raced both legally and illegally...

So, those of you who wheel, do you wear belts while wheeling? Same deal, I've got 4 points in the buggy and it does not come out of Park untill all belts are fastened...

6. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    It depends. When i do drive my Toyota on the street, always, mainly because it has no doors and i dont want to give the cops any more reason to pull me over and ticket me. In the K5, i almost never wear it. I am in the small percentage that had their life saved by not having one on, so i almost think that it subconsciously affects me not wearing it.

When wheeling i always wear a belt, and as soon as the cage is done in the Toy it will have harnesses for both seats.

7. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

The one wreck I was in and not wearing at least a lap belt we were saved by the 8' cabover camper. Got "T"boned by a drunk and the camper acted as a big crumple zone when the truck rolled.
    For wheeling I won't move the rig without a lap belt on and most times its the full harness.

And about not being able to release the belts, I have a floding knife cliped to my right pocket and can get it out even if I'm belted in.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I always wear it when I'm wheeling the K5.

9. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Always absolutely 100% of the time no matter what, same with passengers. I even put it on when moving my truck 20 feet in the driveway. If feel weird if I sit in the truck without the belt on, feels like I'm missing something...

Wheeling I always have at least the lap belt on before the engine starts, if it's getting sketchy I put on the shoulder belts but not on the easier stuff since I like to hang out the door to see where I'm going.

10. stallion85

stallion85 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Always Always Always!!! I could never live with myself if someone in my vehicle died because I didn't ensure they were wearing there belts.

I am in the AirForce and live on the base, if you get caught not wearing your seatbelt or anyone in your vehicle not wearing it you lose your driving privilages on base for 30 days and get to stand in front of your commander and explain why :eek:

I feel weird if I don't have mine on. I also feel it sets a good example to your children when you don't ever relax the rule ;)

11. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    ALWAYS period.

12. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

As long as I can remember, my dad never moved the vehicle until everyone was buckled, and I'm learned that from him. You don't ride in any vehicle I own, or vehicle I'm driving without a seatbeld. Period.

-Mike

13. Torquer

Torquer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Don't even start up any rig till my belt is latched. My buddy who's a local cop has shown me enough pictures of splattered faces/bodies into windshields to last me a liftime.

Hard to believe that some do NOT wear one. :stir:

14. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    YES!!!! You only have to head butt one windshield to learn. :doah:

When I'm around on the farm and back roads, no I don't wear it, but on the major highways, YES always.

15. Hintz

Hintz Active Member

nope, no he couldnt b/c hes dead, but I never wear mine I know its bad but I dont, but I always wear it when Im wheeling

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    your options suck.... rotfl

i wear mine as it is the law and not a cheap ticket in cali, BUT if in a parking lot just moving things around i dont. 99.9% of the time i have it on, but am not scared to leave it off in certian situations.
    Grant

17. ram350005

ram350005 Member

I usually wear mine. but the new vehicles these days will always remind u if u dont have it on. waytogo

18. Dunks Performance

Dunks Performance Well-Known Member

yeah I wear it, don't like them but can't seem to go anywhere without putting it on. I have been in a few wrecks, the first one I was in I broke the windshield of a jeep grand with my head and I was wearing my belt, I always wonder what would have happened without it??? I mean if you can break the damn windshield with it, might be ugly without it.

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yup, I'm with the allways crowed. Been in several wrecks and allways had it on. One time the my body lurked forward so hard I bruzed my ribs from the seat belt. I'm sure my face woulda been part of the dash/windshield on that one for sure.
    If a fire were to brake out and I couldn't get the belt to release I sure as heck wouldn't let that stop me from escaping, if I could help it that is...I too have a knife 100% of the time for cuttin stuff waytogo

20. yellowxj

yellowxj Active Member

I wear mine, take a few laps in a V8 bomber race car and hit some one good (or the wall :doah: )...ever see some one break a leg pushing the brake pedal into the floor...bend the steering wheel trying to brace against the impact...or see a kid who was "G'd" back (reclined driving) hit another car at 55 mph, he wasent wearing a seat belt, the air bag and his reclined position let him slide straight down to the pedals, broken pelvis, leg's, foot, etc etc...the only thing more pitiful then his feeble attempt to pull him self out from under the steering wheel was that he killed a pregnant girl in the other car, wonder if he would have seen her pulling out in front of him (that part was her fault) if he had been sitting up...she was wearing her seat belt but the impact on her drivers door...you know...

about the buckles failing...we made sure to use the old metal seat belt parts for our window nets in the bomber cars, ones with plastic housings or parts were rumored to melt or fail in a fire, forcing you to crawl out a new and different route