Duramax in a burb?

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by DMAXRIG, Jan 26, 2006.

1. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there has ever been any talk about the Dmax being in a suburban? Ford has the excursion, but having that 6.0 is a huge turn off to me. Any info greatly appreciated.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    That would be cool..but I have not read anything about GM doing that...:confused:

3. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

There is a guy over in Ohio that does conversions. I'll see if I can find his site.

4. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm no GM design employee, but I doubt the Dmax will find it's way into a Burb. I heard the problem was that a new chassis would be needed to handle the larger motor and Allison, combined of what it costs to build the Burbs and the added cost of the Dmax/Alli, it would push it's selling price VERY high.

This is what I read a year or two ago on CK5 when there was a big discussion about this.

6. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

He is right. The conversions have to have a 2 inch body lift to fit the Duramax and Allison. The cost would be very high from the factory. Add the diesel cost to an already $50,000 3/4 SUV, and you have a truck very few would consider buying.

7. mini_mull

mini_mull Active Member

That's funny, I've heard a ton of rumors about an 07 diesel burb. Even from a high up dealership guy when we bought our 05 HD last summer. Maybe they are just that though, rumors

8. OTAMYWY

OTAMYWY New Member

I have heard that the new '07 Burbans will get the Duramax as well. I will believe it when I see it.

The reason they did not put the duramax in the current suburban was due to the allison and its size. GM product tested it and people did not like the 2" body lift for the allison to fit. If you look into the 8.1L suburbans, they have a different tranny for that engine. I think they need to start adding the duramax in the suburbans and the H2's. I think they would definately sell more H2's with the duramax in it.

9. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have been looking at fullsize SUV to replace the 2500hd but have not found any new that have a deisel option. Ford used to have the exscursion but it isn't on there websites anymore so I think they are not even making them anymore.

10. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

Nope...no more Excursions. They replaced it with a stretched version of the Expedition, called the EL I think. IMO it wont be able to compete with the Suburban because ot the IRS. It feels good to say GM kept the solid axle!
    This is it:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. wpatrus

wpatrus Member

There is a article about the "future of diesels" in the latest Diesel Power mag. It says there are smaller V6 duramaxes in the pipework for the halftons and burbs. Hopefully they can fit the 6.6 in.