Fabricating cold air intake inlet

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 6.7 (24v)' started by 2007CUMMINZ, Sep 29, 2007.

1. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

I started today to modify my factory clean air intake box to provide cooler air and also to provide additional air. Click on 2 links to see high flow air filter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I have it back together I can fabricate a flexable hose to mount to the bottom of the box that will protrude 20"s straight down toward the bottom of the truck where it will pickup cooler outside air. Air off the hot pavement will be cooler than engine compartment air. Once I get this hose fabricated I will update the post to show contents.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Looks good. Let us know how it performs!

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I blew several holes in my stock air box and removed the 'funnel' that connected it to the fender. First good boost pull, lost of black smoke came out and you can hear the turbo more. All I have in the air box right now is a K&N drop in. Cheap mod till I get a better air filter setup.

4. 2007CUMMINZ

The 5" hole I cut in my air box is a perfect match for a piece of 4" corrigated pipe. I cut it 21"s long. Photos show how it fitup. I drilled one small home in bottom of box and top side of pipe and used plastic zip tie then corked (ha) around the top. I cut bottom of pipe to face forward. Is about 3"s above the bottom of the bumper.
    I plan to install Cool Blue Hose when my friends at Diesel Power Products get their supply in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    Nice job...waytogo

I have a friend that did it too his 06.
    I believe he ran it out too the front though. I'll have to ask.

6. John T Lippold

John T Lippold Member

Fyi

I actually read through my owners manual and found a interesting bit of information.I said and I quote "ANY MODIFICATION AND OR REPLACEMENT OF THE AIR BOX WILL VOID THE MANUFACTURES EMISSION WARRANTY".May be purchasing a bottom portion of the air box for those trips to the dealer for software updates might a good idea.I have had my 07.5-6.7-g56 in for two of those software grades.Love the idea of a simple mod for more powerwaytogo .I may do this to my 6.7 if your results are worth the effort and risk.
    JOHN T. LIPPOLD
    AKA-6.7HVN

7. 2007CUMMINZ

Made 125 mile trip today towing 5er. The changes are not noticeable at low RPMs but get it wound up it really seems to help. This is a strong engine. Grossin' 25k and wound up to 2500rpms in 2-3 gear sounds good, feels good.

8. 2007CUMMINZ

Quote from Gale Banks...

Of course, a vehicle’s airbox is where the outside air comes into the engine. Due to cost restraints, factory airboxes usually allow for a well-engineered aftermarket airbox to do a much more efficient job at directing the air into the engine. The best-engineered airboxes are sealed units that take the air in from the front of the vehicle and create the least-restrictive path to the turbocharger.
    Aftermarket filters-on-a-stick don’t work very well, even if the air filter element has an enclosure around it. They still tend to take in the hot underhood air, which is far less dense than outside ambient air. Remember, just because an aftermarket airbox system or filter-on-a-stick makes more noise, doesn’t mean its making power or increasing air density. Make sure you get a dynamometer-tested airbox that actually makes power and increases air density instead of just making more noise.