fire extinguisher...

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    well, what ya got? where ya got it?

im looking for a nice one that i can put in the bed of my truck, mounted to the side of my tool box, then moved to the headache rack when i get it...

im all about being safe, but want to also not have it walk away..

Grant

2. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    HAHA wal-mart! But that probably doesnt help you

3. Seventy4Blazer

Media:
    i know where to get them, just looking to see if anyone would have gone smaller, or larger.. things like that

4. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    i have two
    one dry chemical stored in my street side basement and the other is a halon bottle in the curb side basement, and then one up in the coach near the door
    used to carry one in the cab, but it got accidently discharged so now they all stay in the basement

5. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

in IL you are required to carry one in a truck plated for over 8k.
    i carry one in each truck mounted to the side of the middle seat in my 40x20x40 seat configurations.

6. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

I have a small Kiddie dry chemical in the cab. If youre worried about accidental discharge get a Halon (i believe spelling right) extinguisher. They are much more expensive but they dont cause damage after discharge.

7. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a little 5lb Kidde in the cab. I just have it chillin under the drivers seat. easy to get to if i have to get out of the truck in a hurry.

8. Ggg

Ggg Active Member

Halon extinguishers are not very effective on car fires. Because of the way they extinguish a fire (by excluding the oxygen) they are easily rendered ineffective by a breeze or draft. Much like what happens to the shielding gas in MIG welding on a breezy day, thus why stick or flux core wire is better suited for use outside, a dry chem is better suited for outside use. I agree Halon makes less of a mess compared to dry chem, but it was designed for use indoors. I would get the biggest ABC rated extinguisher you happen to have room for.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  9. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

I've got a 3 lb dry chem that lays on the transmission hump in front of the middle seat of the truck. There's also 4 additional dry chems in the fifth wheel.

10. Kyser_Soze

Kyser_Soze Member

Media:
    I have a Halon 2 1/2 lb mounted inside the cab next to the drivers seat. I've used it before and it works great.

11. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

hmmm I need one or well two:doah:

12. Seventy4Blazer

Media:
    ehh, if i had a halon in the cab and it went off while driving i would be d-e-d DEAD. halon displaces O2 at a very fast rate. it is also VERY corrosive... so damage would be bad on two counts...

i will be making a cover if everything goes right and placing it on te side of the tool box in my bed. maybe one on each side. halon wouldnt be a bad thing in a case like that as it would be outside and could be rinsed off.

Grant

13. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

How about race cars???

Anyone using them in there race cars

14. Ggg

Ggg Active Member

At one time they did use Halon in race cars, but in general no longer use it. In 2003 halon production stopped mostly due to enviromental issues. Any Halon bought today is either residual left over or recycled/recaptured. Halon is very expensive to buy due to obvious limited supply. There are many other "clean agent" suppression chemicals such as Co2 or FM200 that is 1/10th the price of Halon. But like Halon they are designed for specific uses, fires, and eviroments primarily indoors or in a confined space. That is not to say they will not work at all outdoors, just not as effective as other agents designed for outdoor use. For outdoor use the most effective to deliver onto the fire is water, but it has the issue of supplying enough to do the job, and fire type. Depending on the material that is burning you might not want to use it, such as on oil, fuel, or worse yet magnesium fires in which water can act as an accelerant. Dry chem is good albeit messy. Talk to your local Fire extinguisher supplier company and ask them which is best for your individual needs.