ford fix?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by 05kingranch, Feb 13, 2007.

1. 05kingranch

05kingranch Member

In 05 did ford fix the head bolts from stretching and how big of a chip can you go safely

2. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

no they didnt fix em. all the 6.0's have them, atleast from what ive heard...

3. LilFordGirl

LilFordGirl Active Member

You can probably do a 50 horse chip safely

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

ARP should have new head bolts out it would be a bit coslty but I would get those replaced before any mods are done to it if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

5. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

ARP studs for the head is highly recommended before putting a chip in. Just beware, you chip it, you could loose your warranty.

6. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

They did fix the problem. In my house we have four 6.0 all tuned. None have ever blown the head gasket. The oldest is an 05 the other 3 are 06. I did the studs because I tow heavy with the truck tuned.

7. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

You need to post pics of your trucks sittin right in a row...that would be damn good lookin!

8. muddog06

muddog06 Member

Actually, laywer says that Ford nor any other manufacturer can void you warranty for using a chip, or programmer, they have to proove owner abuse. They can only refuse to fix damaged parts that they can proove the programmer or chip caused.

9. reddragon4x4

reddragon4x4 Well-Known Member

Yep, Magnuson Moss act of 1975 (or 74)... check it out.waytogo How hard is it to take the cab off of the truck to do the head studs? Next months issue of Diesel Power is going to show how to do it, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it already. Thanks.

10. BlacksmokeRam02

BlacksmokeRam02 Member

are those studs really that bad??? So far seems like getting the Ford was a bad idea, although the truck they built around my Cummins wasn't that great either. :mad:

11. reddragon4x4

reddragon4x4 Well-Known Member

I"m wondering how well mine will do. I have the triple dog and use it on performance purely for the mileage:rolleyes: . My boost levels with my driving never usually get above 20psi according to the stock gauge. On average I"m around 5 to 10. I just accellerate enough to get done what needs done (towing, passing, climbing). I do know people though that have to roll black smoke everywhere they go and I"m wondering if those are the people that are mainly having the problems. I think that for being 24 years old that I'm pretty responsible with my beast. The problem with the studs is "high boost pressures" is that long sustained boost pressures (towing) or short intense boost pressures (racing or romping)? I have a hard time believing that the 6.0 is such a fragile creature that it couldn't take a little tuning (with a light foot). What do yall think?

Sorry about the novel.

12. BlacksmokeRam02

BlacksmokeRam02 Member

I was thinkin the same thing reddragon. I just installed the edge juice with attitude & i use it sparingly with the occational romp, but if the head bolts were that bad why didn't Ford have a re-call on them? :doah:

13. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

Ford doesn't do a recall cause most of the time it is caused by aftermarket tuners. The 05 and 06 don't stretch with the stock tunes.