Fordum's Hurricane Info...

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by Fordum, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Fordum

Fordum Member

Well, I figured I needed to post something here......
    Fortunately a hurricane gave me an idea.

Some of the folks here from CK5, yeah, subscript, remember me trying to help with Sandy and others. I would like to give some advice on the latest one, but its so iffy, I don't know what is going to happen.
    Right now, I don't see the kind of storm surge I warned about before. But that could change. The big problem you Northern folks need to watch out for is rain and flooding.
    Lots of both.
    There are so many lows and fronts bumbling around out there, its a tossup as to where the storm is headed. I'm going to keep watching it, and if I see a trend, I will add to it here. But right now, its going to be spawning storm fronts, tons of rain, and probably a few tornadoes up and down the East coast.
    Ryoken, I don't think you will have to move the stored boats to higher ground, but make sure the wraps don't have any pinholes.......

OH, and Post Count 1.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. Ryoken

Ryoken Member

hehe, :)..

I'm not paying attention at all really.. couple panicky boaters, but nothing crazy like Sandy and especially the one previous to that where we hauled/blocked 100+ boats in 2 days.....

I haven't been paying attention to "tracks" and all that like my boss's, customers, etc, but I'm betting it'll be nothing more than a couple inches of rain and maybe 30 to 40 mph winds.. no big, but we'll see......

thanks for thinking of me tho brudda!!!!

3. TerryD

TerryD Member

They are so upset about it where I work that we're drafting people to work extras all weekend for "storm support". I'm going to sand-bag my driveway and my garage doors to keep the excess rain out and I probably won't park under the walnut tree, but I'm not getting too excited otherwise.

4. Fordum

Fordum Member

"thanks for thinking of me tho brudda!!!!" Hmmm, no quote function.......
    No problem Ryoken.
    As for watching the track, I would tend to keep an eye out, Terry. Its real long odds that it might come ashore where you are. All the smart money is saying a slow cruise up the coast and a turn out to sea.
    But, its only moving about 5mph, and that is not good. Gives it lots of time to grow. Its a Cat4 now, winds of about 130. Moving that slow, means that the Bahamas are getting pounded and more is on the way.
    But there are no good steering currents, and lots of stuff around it holding it in place. Its sitting in warm water, and only a strong wind sheer is stopping it from really cranking up. Last track had it actually moving SW, so you never know.
    As strong as it is, and the likelihood of future growth, means it needs watching. Its close enough to land, that if it were to move up the coast, stall again, then drift west you could have a major problem on your hands sooner than you would expect.
    Right now, though, unless you happen to be sitting in a kayak in the Bahamas, you should be fine.

But, I will keep a close eye on it, and if it tries anything, I will sound the alarm.

5. TerryD

TerryD Member

Thanks for the heads up as always! I'll start watching it a little closer. I don't really have much to be concerned with but we'll be bringing in all the "flying debris" that's been sitting around the house tomorrow I guess.

6. bswet

bswet New Member

Bring it....

7. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

I have a coworker traveling to the beachy side of Virginia right now. Aside from teasing him about the storm, it's really a non-issue where we are (might get two or three raindrops). Bring it on! : pimp:

8. Chris Perry

Chris Perry Active Member

Boy, what I would give for a few more inches

of rain that is.......

9. Fordum

Fordum Member

Well, this is sort of a non-update. The hurricane has finally started to move, mostly North. Most of the track predictions have it going North or Northeast. Problem is, its surrounded by influences.
    There is a low to the West, a tropical depression to the East, and the jet stream is crashing down towards it.
    If everything stays the way it is, it should move along the coast then head out to sea. But, if something changes, all the track predictions will go right out the window.
    In the meantime, anybody in the Carolinas and Virginia needs to watch out.
    You are looking at the possibility of more rain than you have seen in over 10 years. Maybe ever.

Make preps now. If you have a basement that sometime leaks, make sure the sump pump is working. Any doors that are less than six inches to a foot off the ground, you need to consider sandbags or some type of barrier.
    Make sure your vehicles are parked on concrete or pavement. Any large trees leaning are subject to falling over if the ground becomes saturated. Stay out from under.

Watch out for small streams that might get really big.

And, as always, even in good weather, make sure you can survive with no power, or supplies for at least a few days. You don't need a months supply of MREs in the attic, liquids to drink and stuff that can be eaten without cooking for a few days should be fine.

Hopefully all this is wrong, and all you will get is some light rain. But a lot more folks have said: " why the heck was I not ready for this" than have said: "Man, I feel like a fool for having all these supplies and not needing them".

Except for after Y2K, when all the doomsayers looked like idiots.

10. Fordum

Fordum Member

Anybody see any way to edit a post title? I was going to add a mention about Carolinas and Virginia so that anyone seeing it would check the last post, but I cannot find a way to do it.