Front tire wear ~ Feathering ~?

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by Burt4x4, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Howdy,
    My 2005 has it's second set of tires on it now about 20Kmiles. I did get a wheel alinement at Les Schwab yet the inside of my front tires started to wear funny..feathering I guess is what it's called.

My concirn is the factory set of tires also did this so when I bought new tires I knew I had to get an alinement so I did.
    My plan is to take it in and have them look at it again.
    Just curious if anyone has had this tire wear issue or if I need to replace/upgrade the busings up fromt? My rig has 71K miles on it now.
    Thanks
    Burt

PS ~ I rotated the feather tires to the rear. I peal out when possiable now to try and help burn off the 'feathereing'....looks like the 3rd set of tires will be comming sooner that expected...hehehehe

2. frysl

frysl Member

Not addressing your concern, but...
    Every vehicle I own I have purchased life time alignment with a company I can find just about anywhere, like Firestone or Goodyear. It pays for itself with the second alignment. My last truck, I owned for 10 years and had Firestone align 8 times. My current truck has 21K on it and has been aligned twice now.
    Steve
    04 2500HD CC 4X4

3. earl87gta

earl87gta Member

D-max is known to ware out wheel baring rather quick Ive had to replace both sides twice all ready. jack up your truck and shack the tire make sure thier is no side to side movment you will also notice it start to sterr hard in the corners at high way speed. I had my front end aligned 1 week before the last one took out every thing in the front I was luck know one got hurt they had to replace almost my hole front end sway bar every thing.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    We have one GM IFS 4wd, it wears front tires just as Burt is describing. I've seen other guys trucks with IFS wear the crap out of tires, I have just pretty much figured by now that it's a characteristic of that setup, regardless of brand. Even a couple of 2wds we have wear tires like that eventually.

The best wear on front tires I have seen have come from strait axle 4wds. You'd think it would be the opposite. My two older GM and Dodge 4wd's do great, beats me.

5. DEMON

DEMON Well-Known Member

Feathering is caused by 1 of 2 things.............Toe setting out of adustment.............OR highspeed cornering. Your alignment might be fine, but your driveing style might not for tire wear