FS: '96 FL80, custom toter/tow rig $12000

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers for Sale' started by big94GMC, Jan 12, 2006.

1. big94GMC

big94GMC Well-Known Member

:( :(

You may or may not be familiar with my Freightliner tow rig. If you want it, it's available. I am in the middle of finishing it up, but you can finish the job for little $$ above you initial investment - I need to sell this. I'm obviously going to lose money when I sell it, but I can't keep it....my dreams were bigger then my abilities. I can deliver if you fly me back here.
    Bank holds the title, sale of Freightliner nets title.

Here is a thread for it:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154797

All you'd need to do finish up the bed is paint it. I left the front portion of the flatbed open to build a headache rack. I had plans for a 50 ft. hose reel to mount under the bed to utilize the 120 psi of the trucks tanks. I also purchased a fold-out step assembly to mount under the bed to be able to walk up onto the bed easier. If you want them, I'll throw those in. Also have extra, unmounted 1/2" D rings to be added onto the side. The truck is not wired to trailer brakes yet, and there is no gooseneck hitch installed yet (the recessed hitch box is made out of 1/2" plates, and have two 1/2" plates that cradle it), but it's plenty strong to haul any amount of weight - just mount a hitch. The 2" receiver hitch is equally strong, and has a step incorporated onto it for getting up onto the back of the bed. This truck is already registered as a MH (motorhome). No special license is required, even though it has air brakes. I owe just under $10G on it, and I put just over $5G into the bed and a good set of drive tires.

If you want to get ahold of me about it, email me at rufneck53 @ hotmail dot com, or IM me on either AIM or yahoo IM as "big94GMC", and I'll give you my phone number so we can discuss it.

I need this gone. My dreams exceeded my abilities. This won't be my last HDT project, but at this time, I can't have it (no trail rig, no tow rig). I need this gone.

$12,000

:( :(

2. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Why are you selling it?? you just got it?!?!?!:doah:

3. big94GMC

Because last month I became unemployed (which was planned - time was up in the Navy), but coincidently my dogs life came into danger last month, too. I drained my savings account paying for hospital bills and surgery for her....money that was supposed to sustain me for this next semester. In short, I choose my dog over my trucks, and, since my trail rig is a bare frame right now, I have just can't this right now.

The cards I've been dealt lately haven't been in my favor, so I'm trying to make the best decisions to keep my head above water.

4. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

you shure the cat is rated for 300hp? looks more like a 250hp jobber truck. being a 6 speed and single axle, doesnt look liek aa day cab semi conversion due to the trans....
    whats the dea; with the straight 6 trans? 3116, or 3126? if its a 3116 with the 6 speed its a gutless wonder. 3126 mechcanical or HUI injectors? how many zillion miles? is it set up as a half engine inside the cab, half out, or only 1/4 in the cab, and 3/4 out?

5. big94GMC

It's a 3126 Cat kicked up to 300hp. 256,000 miles on the motor (swapped in in 2001). The truck was a FedEx expeditor most it's life. And it's a flat floor cab, no 1/4, half, 3/4 crap you were talking about.

6. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Bummer sorry to hear about the hard times...That is a cool rig. Good luck in the future and make sure you still hang around here!!

7. big94GMC

Thanks, Brent. I will - no need to get out of the loop, just out of the drivers seat.

'96 Freightliner for sale....any takers?

8. BurnedBronco

it needs to have 4 of these 6 items to be legally liscenesed as an RV in my state. what and how many of these options does it have? i cannot afford to plate it unless i can lisence it as an RV($102 a year vs several thousand a year for a commercial plate, as i venture to far from home without to put on a farm plate)

"1) a cooking facility with an on-board fuel source; 2) a gas or electric refrigerator; 3) a toilet with exterior evacuation; 4) a heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine; 5) a drinkable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with a an exterior service supply connection; 6) a 110-15 volt electric power supply."

9. big94GMC

Yes, I completely understand. My annual registration is $47, and full coverage insurance with Progressive is under $500 annually. Plain and simple, if the vehicle is not being used in a commercial application, it's not a commercial vehicle.

Very similar rules apply in my state....had to have four of those six qualifications. When I got it titled (was titled as a commercial vehicle when I bought it, now has a MH title), it only has three of the six at the moment - has a sink that I've never messed with, has outlets and wiring for 110 power supply, and separate A/C. There is a cabinet for a decent sized fridge (along with an outlet and a vent for the fridge), and a place to mount a microwave - which can count as a 'cooking source'.

THAT ALL BEING SAID.... My DMV didn't even look at the truck when I was getting the registration and titling done - as a matter of fact, the truck was in a different state at the time. I walked in, said everything correctly (used the right terminology - and being friendly helps ALOT), and walked out with what I needed. (Know this: If the motorhome is GOING to have something installed, it already HAS IT.)

However, since I did the legwork, and it's already titled as a MH, the next owner shouldn't have any trouble simply putting their name on it and walking out. I can talk to you offline about what I learned and give you the suggestions you'd need, if you'd like.

What state do you live in?

10. BurnedBronco

whats the wheelbase? what does the truck need if it where to go to a safety test? air leaks? front end and steering tight? brakes 40% or better? how are the tires? all 6 new, or 4 recaps. on the rear does it have a street or a M+S tread? bud wheels or hub centric?
    i like it, but is kinda long for me and the places i go. would contmiplate cutting it up and turning it into a tractor chassis with the gooseneck/pintle hitch setup for trailer pulling. i know i can shorten it up for probably 2k.

11. big94GMC

Current wheelbase is 300". It doesn't need anything to pass safety - when I bought it, it had a siezed brake chamber on the pass. front, an oil leak near the oil filter, and hole the size of my fist in the exhaust turn down, and the pass. door lock/handle wouldn't work. I fixed all thiose....or, should I say, I paid to have a shop fix 'em, to the tune of $4G. That's when I learned it's best to learn to do things myself. No, no air leaks....both tanks hold air at 110psi +. Front is straight and so is steering with no noticable pulling (although the steering wheel is turned 180* out of whack, I've just not loosened the wheel and turned it back straight). Fronts are approx. 90% tread (very deep) but did sit for a year when the previous owner had it. I've driven 6,000 miles in the last two months with no issues. The rears are Bridgestone first recaps with 60-75% tread....they came off a friends truck when he singled his Volvo out. All are 22.5 rims, buds. As far as the drive tread, they're radial M+S 295/75.22.5's. If you were to cut it and shorten the frame, and use it for pullin' either a frame hitch or gooseneck trailer, I'd recommend that. I built this for multi-tasking....either, I could load up myself and go somewhere as a straight truck, or I could load up myself, and hook up to a friends trailer and bring those rigs, too. But, now that I have driven it like I built it for, I would do things differently. This tow rig has hauled three trail rigs without flinching, with room to spare.

Where are you from, BurnedBronco????

12. big94GMC

Oh, yea.... Rear brakes were done by the previous owner. I'd say 95%+.

13. BurnedBronco

i know you built it for easy load and go with no trailer, but it may just be to big to do that and pull a 30' trailer. that combo would put me right at most alowable legal length for class 2 roads i believe. i just cant see getting that thing everywhere i want. i have no problem just hooking up to either my big gooseneck or big pintle hitch trailers i have, and pullign 2 rigs that way.
    currently pulling 2 trucks with a 1 ton ford. its working, but boarderline.
    that combo with my trailer would put me near the length of the kenwroth 30k wrecker i drive WHEN hooked onto my 1 ton ford pulling the 25' goose.(that combo does NOT back up well)
    i am near chicago.
    the reason i am asking about mechnical parts is becuase i work on them, and know just how much big truck parts cost. tire, brakes, trans and engine work all cost major bucks in that size of a truck. how many miles on the chassis?

14. big94GMC

I have pulled hooked to a 36' trailer. It's a wide turn, but nothing that typical roads can't handle. If you wanted to shorten, you'd be ahead of the game then I was. I built what I THOUGHT I'd like. Now that I've driven it, I'd make changes. If you wanted to shorten, you'd be on the right track. Please be in touch if you need anything else. Thanks, man.

15. big94GMC

TTT. I need to sell this rig. If you want it, let me know. Oh, yea, FL registration was just renewed for another year.

16. BurnedBronco

how many miles on the chassis?
    new or rebuilt 3126? its a non sleeved motor, so was it bored, and just new pistons popped in?

17. big94GMC

I honestly have no answers to your questions. I don't know much at all about it's history other then what is obvious - I have no records. The 3126 has a date of '01 on it, so it was obviously put in then, but whether is a reman or new, I don't know. I only say that the computer has been bumped up to 300hp because the previous owner mentioned it was (feels like it), but I've not yet verified this at the Cat dealer. If you can get info from the VIN, the last six are 772197. I don't know how to get the info you're requesting, but I'd love to help provide it.

18. BurnedBronco

you said 256k on the motor, but again, how many on the chassis? i know how a 750k straight truck that was designed to last 500k feels.....

19. big94GMC

I know you keep asking the question. My answer was always 'I don't know'. I wish I could easily provide the info. I do not know how many miles are on the chassis. I do not know how to find out. If there is a chance you might know how, I'm trying to provide you with information you'd need to obtain the info. As I said before, I am more then happy to help you get the info you need. Tell ya what, man, give me a ring on my cell, and just introduce yourself as BurnedBronco, and I'll know it's you. Might be easier to get it questions and concerns taken care of that way instead of jockeying emails back and forth. Thanks.

Chris
    (850)384-4108

20. Yellowsub1962

Yellowsub1962 New Member

you still got this thing? interested in driving to CA if I get you to the airport and the plane ticket home? got any pics of hte inside?

Email yellowsub1962ATsbcglobal.net (replace AT with @ )

Thanks,
    Peter