Fuel milage gone to crap !?!?!?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by ford trader, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ford trader

ford trader Member

hello i have just recently noticed that my fuel milage has been going down hill quick and here recently its getting like 12 miles to the gallon i have done the diesel cetain treatments and fuel filter tire psi and air filter clean and also flushed cooling sys but here is the kicker recently i have notcied a slight ticking noise from inside the cab and it almost sounds like a injector or maybe a rod tapping noise im not to sure i am a profesional ford mechanic lol so i do have some good diesel mechanical skills any how there is no codes and all inj test have pass using snap on scanner. has anybody had or seen this prob?

truck is a 2004.5 ram 3500 dual rw 5.9l auto trans 4x4 with 109,000 miles and edge programer returned to stock

2. ad8 PRODIGY

ad8 PRODIGY New Member

Are you positive the tank is emptying? If not it may be a pickup unit working until a certain point then stopping, whats the fuel guage do?

EDIT: I just read that your a tech, im just throwing that out ther since im not sure myslef and thats all i can think of. Its kinda a long shot but it may be worth checking out. Your tank may think its empty. Long shot tho. Good luck

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

3. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
    ford trader have you checked the injector line clamps? Number four is famous for getting loose and causing a "ticking" sound;)

One other thing maybe you have figured this out by now but winter fuel will have a tendancy to cause a drop in fuel mileage...