Fuel plate or gsk set first?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by KidJethro, Dec 28, 2005.

1. KidJethro

KidJethro Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've got a bit of cash to spend....What should I do first, the #6 plate, (#6 reccomended for stock auto tranny) or 3k gsk? And were do I get one of those AFE Pro-Gaurd 7 air cleaners?

2. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

You should do both plate and GSK while your already there. Remember to put a good size drain pan under the pump when changing the gov springs as some engine oil will drain out. The best luck I've had with removing the break off screw is to use a sharp center punch or small chisle on the side of the screw to loosen it. Be extra carefull around the open hole when the stock plate is removed. Other than that HAVE FUN!waytogo

3. astevenson

astevenson Active Member

Media:
    For the air filter I would recomend going up to napa and get a 2790. It is a large air filter that will fit in place of your stock filter box. The end of the filter will fit right on the turbo inlet hose. And the filter will just rest on the wheel well. Some people have made a heat sheild to keep from getting to much heat from the turbo in the intake.

4. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

I'd go for the GSK, then you can grind your stock plate flat to a #0 plate, then the NAPA 2790 and take out the silencer ring to hear the whistlin' music(if it hasnt already been done). Your auto (if it's all stock)will probably not like the power, but you can help it live better with at least a shift kit.

5. Dave@BD-Power

Dave@BD-Power Well-Known Member

The fuel plate is definitely your first move, the springs are a good upgrade too, you are wise to be thinking about your transmission, I have some recommendations for you, if you interested give me a call toll free at 1-800-887-5030 ext...105 or private message me if you like, we can discuss your options

6. KidJethro

KidJethro Well-Known Member

I've got a #6 plate on the way. GSK next. Money is kinda tight, as usuall, so I'm doin all this stuff like one upgrade a month. I'll wait till I get the gsk set and install that and the plate at the same time. I'll pick up the air cleaner from Napa somtime soon. I think thats about all I'm gonna do till I can afford to do somthin about the tranny.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I'll be getting in touch with ya. I don't have the means to do anything to the tranny right now, but it would be nice to know what I'm looking at ahead of time so I can prepare. :)

7. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

You don't always need GSK's if you want to do it poor boy style;) . Pull the plug where the gov springs are located and turn the engine till you see the screws for the gov springs and give them a couple turns in then turn the engine 360* and give the other springs the same amount of turns. If you don't get them even you'll get a lope at idle. Tighter the spring the higher the rpm. BTW thanks for the post on the ram assists on CK5. Got that stuff on order!waytogo

8. rharveysr

rharveysr Well-Known Member

Media:
    By watching the location of the plate when it is installed...the transmission will live and yes the gsk is a great upgrade for those who tow. If you feel real brave...install the governor springs when you have the plate out. I have never done the springs from the side...just dont like oil all over the customers truck.
    As far as the air filter/breather we stock the Scotty Air systems breather that pulls cool air off of the windshield instead of under the hood.

Rick

9. champspa

champspa Member

how many turns on the springs to get to 3000 rpm . on tdr they said about 2 clicks . how many turns in a click:D

10. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

1 click is a quarter turn on the nut, and equals about 100 rpm. You can go up to 4 clicks, after that it may not want to idle below 1000rpm.

11. champspa

champspa Member

that's good to know , I'll give that a try next time I'm just knocking around the house:cool: