Gear Vendor

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by cahillmd, Jan 21, 2006.

1. cahillmd

cahillmd New Member

I'm looking at a used (116,000) 200 F450, 4x4, with Gear Vendor or I am looking at putting Gear Vendor in my truck (1996 F350 with 460). I would like any opinions on the gear vendor unit in both of these truck. Do you like them or not? The durability factor in both of these trucks, and what type, if any, problems that you guys have seen.

Thanks.waytogo

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I think I have heard it's a great unit. I could see it being a good benifet in an F450, since they come with such low geared rear ends.

3. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have not had any first hand experience with one but have heard nothing but good things about their durability and quality

4. cahillmd

cahillmd New Member

You wouldn't happen to know if something happens to the gear vendor while you are in transport can you bypass it and keep on moving with the regular transmission?

5. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

The Gear Vendors unit has a weakness that it won't take any reverse torque (engine braking) and it won't engage below a certain speed. On the other hand the US Gear unit is a better box and is more like a two speed rear axle in operation. It doesn't have the cone type clutches to fail like the Gear Vendors. And when they do they cease to operate, call a tow truck.

Old Trucker

6. cahillmd

cahillmd New Member

US Gear Unit

Thanks for the information. Does the US Gear unit have a website?

7. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

8. cahillmd

cahillmd New Member

US Gear

Thank you sir! I'll look them up.

9. MikeGoodman59

MikeGoodman59 New Member

Gear Vendors - lost reverse

Dodge 2500 had no problems with GV but lost reverse. Came on sudden. Worked, then had a shimmy only in reverse. Next day (cold) it worked. Drove 10 miles, shimmied, then locked up in rumble in reverse.

Mike McCarthy at GV seems to think it's the 12V to GV, or a signal to it. Tried pulling 12V off rev. solenoid. Said: If you have reverse, then it's electrical. Guess the GV goes to straight . He doesn't think it's the reverse. ASE friend says not clutch. GV was dropping RPM's as usual. Shifted well, until just now when I went 3rd/4th. Shimmied at speed, then better.

Anyone had an issue similar? Think it came with vehicle new. Dates on these posts would indicate users have added the years and miles to your vehicle closer to my 300,000.

GV signal, GV gearing? Clutch, tranny?

Anyone ditched their GV and gone back stock? Inspect tranny then find ailshaft housing and proper length shaft?

Could use help. Like the unit. WVO'd the vehicle. Too far in to quit. Other vehicles to drive while sorting out. Thanks.