GN mods

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Ponyracer, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

Got a stange question for ya'll.

I just purchased a used 24' flat deck GN car hauler. I ride quads and have an offroad cherokee that we take wheeling to many different sites for 2-3 days at a time.

My question is this, has anyone taken a pop up trailer and mounted it to the top of the GN?? Something like the below link but done on a goose neck.

http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=6&sn=Scorpion

I was figuring you could take the popup off the frame and make a new frame on the gn, then mount it up there so the door faces the side. I realize there would have to be a hinged staircase and alot of welding and fabwork but that's no problem for me.

I'm more just wondering if the idea is a sound one.

Thanks!!

2. RockRig

RockRig Member

I don't see any problem with your idea except for: fuel mileage. IMO, mounting a pop-up that high will really reduce your MPG.

3. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

Ya that is a consideration, the towing height of most popups is around 54"s so I'm figuring on a lopro frame it will be more like 45" from bottom to top. Figuring the GN is 10"s below the roof line of the truck that will leave 35 inches in the air. I know I've seen 5th wheels that are ALOT taller than that!! Maybe some type of air dam built onto the front of the GN??

4. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

mabye not on gn but perhaps oncab of truck, there are several versions available at the RV shops.

5. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

Na, the truck has to stay stock as it's the wife's DD.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  6. duckmanquacker

you might search around for a wedge style (point in front) or build your own;)

7. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

Ya I'm actually thinking of turning the goose and the front 10 feet of trailer into a camper. Buy a square die for the JD model 3 and bend up some thin wall square tube and cover it with ally sheet.

8. duckmanquacker

that sounds like it will work where do you get your sheets from, I'm rebuilding a covered trailer for my dad's gyrobee aircraft and would like to use aluminum instead of the heavier steel.

9. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

I'm in England at the moment so my metal supplier prob wouldn't be able to help ya much lol!!!

Just look around the local phone book and make some calls. Be prepaired to spend at least twice what the same material in steel costs though!!!

10. duckmanquacker

nobody here locally carries the aluminum:mad: hoping to find someplace here in the states that can ship some sheets rolledup;)