Goosneck Ball Placement?

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by racer55, Oct 7, 2010.

1. racer55

racer55 Member

I have a 96 Chev C3500 6.5TD cab and chassis and a custom 5th wheel mount on my rails set to standard height and mounted about 1 1/2" ahead of the rear axle.The truck came with a low mount 5er hitch.

I had the welding shop who made up the 5er hitch lift add a 2 5/16 ball and safety chain links a bit behind the base of the 5er lift plates,so the GN ball is now about 3-4 inches behind the axle.
    The truck is sprung really heavy(5 ton rear leaf capacity by PO).

My question is this:
    What effect should I expect to see with the GN hitch slighly behind the axle?(haven't towed with it yet)
    I would have preffered the hitches to both be slightly ahead of the axle but you can't fit 2 things in the same place.

I will try to post a pic to make what I'm describing clearer.
    Thanx in advance.

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Crete

Crete Member

I don't think you will be happy with the placemnet of the GN ball. The 5th plate as far as that goes either. The 5th plate should have been farther ahead.

How many different trailer do you tow? Why not just convert the GN to a 5th?

3. racer55

racer55 Member

The 5th works just fine,I was told that it should be 4 inches in front of the axle and thats where it is.
    I haven't used the GN yet and realize that it should be placed in the same spot the 5TH is but can't be done in my case.
    The reese style hitch works well but its just the normal frame mount on the rear.

I was just curious about the placement of the GN and how the truck would react when I try to use it,the truck is sprung very heavy but I figure that the ball being behind the axle will lighten the front end when towing similar to a bumper mount ball without the load transfer bars.
    I expect the weight transfer to be less than a reese hitch but realize that the GN would most likely be a heavier nose load.
    I plan to get my neighbours GN stock trailer next week to move some cattle and will report back if the load is too unstable with my current setup.
    Thanx for the reply

4. racer55

racer55 Member

I hauled cattle today with my neighbors GN livestock trailer.

The load was roughly 11K plus trailer weight and all was good.
    The truck drove great and when loaded the trailer sat level and the truck came to rest on the helper springs lightly.

No sensation at all of a light nose on the truck.

The 5th wheel hitch measures 4 inches ahead of the axle centerline,and the GN ball is roughly 6 inches behind the axle centerline.

5. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

6. racer55

racer55 Member

I recently got an 05 K3500 club cab Dmax that I installed a B&W underbed gooseneck and a drawtite hideaball 18K 5th wheel to along with a 16K B&W tag hitch.

The question of ball placement is no longer an issue for me,but the old truck still has the original setup as described earlier.
    I am currently waiting on a 30K 2 5/16 ball to replace the 10K ball that is there.

BTW the 96 is for sale.