got a prodigy today...

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by dubbyx, Feb 11, 2006.

1. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

have to say it's pretty neat. How come nobody ever mentioned that it has a manual control on the bottom? I missed this the whole time I've been looking at them for the past year.

I gotta rip my old elec/hydraulic unit out and clean up the spot for it. I"m going ot go ahead and fab up a bracket to even out the bottom of my dash and mount the pocket in a panel with my aux. light switches, hopefully about the 25* area or so.

Had a couple questions about the wiring hookup though. I've read the directions and I know how it's supposed to go in. No problems there. However, my current controller has 2 wires, (red and blue) going back to the trailer instead of just the blue. Easy enough, just don't run the red... but am I overlooking something that should be hooked up that isn't?

7 pin round connector, only running the factory 4 colors through it as of now. will run the blue through as well from the prodigy. That leaves me 3 pins left. Should I have a power wire running back to the breakaway? Tell me what ya got going on yours...

2. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Lt stop/turn-yellow
    Rt stop/turn-green
    running lights-brown
    ground- white

that is the 4 standard

12v+
    Electric brakes
    B/U lights

these are the other 3 that you need. I am not sure about the colors though. I think that they vary from manufacturer. Oh and the 12v+ and the Electric Brakes should be at least 12 guage wire IIRC. The rest of them are 14-16 guage.

Hope that this helps!!

3. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

hmmm... hadn't thought about backup lights, but that'd make sense. guess it woulda been cheaper than running that motion sensor light beside my house... heh.

where does the breakaway get it's power, or does the battery just never get any sort of charge?

4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    The breakaway gets charged from the 12v+. The 12v+ also powers any work lights or cargo lights on the trailer.