GSK Install

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by TheGeneral, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

So I finally got around to installing the GSK set that came with my truck. Im accessing the springs by going through the top of the pump. I got all of the springs out except for the biggest spring just like the directions said. My problem is that I pulled out three springs and I only have two to put back in, the bigger two look very similar to my gsk set springs but there is one really small one that I wasnt expecting. Do I re-use the smallest of the three or did I pull out something that I wasnt supposed to? The directions said to pull out all of the springs except the big idle spring and put back in the new lower spring seats and the two springs that came with the kit. I assume that I just toss the smaller spring and seat?
    While Im asking newbie questions, which way do I slide the fuel plate to get more power? I know I slide it "forward" but is it forward relative to me leaning over the hood or me sitting in the driver's seat?

2. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Slide it towards the front of the truck for more power. As for the GSK question, its been a while since I did mine. Id just call Piers or TST and ask them. Both companies have unbeatable customer service.

3. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

You got it right, just remove all the springs & the lower seat except the big outside one. You cant get the big spring out thru the top anyway, so no worries. Just save all your parts, you never know if you might need it again. Only use the springs that came with the kit, mix & matching can result in it idling at 1500+ rpm.

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

Awsome thanks for the advice. I got the kit installed, but now its idling at like 400 rpms. I set the spring pre-load at exactly what the stock springs were set at so I need to go back and re-adjust them. They seemed a little bit looser than the stockers were so Im going to go back and tighten them. Another thing, Ive noticed a slight whining nosie coming from under the hood after I was finished, not anything drastic, but just a slight whine that gets louder with higher rpms. Is that normal? When I test drove the truck it pulled waay harder in the mid to upper rpm range. After I get it dialed in I think I'm going to be very happy with it.

Hint for anyone that is looking to do a GSK install!!
    If your going through the top of the pump, forget about using magnets, I used a pencil magnet for the first spring set and it took waaaay too long. I found a nut and bolt grabber (not the technical term for it but its the thing thats about 18 inches long and you push the handle in and the four little wire prongs expand from the other end) and the second spring set was done in less than half of the time.