Helper Springs or AirBags

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by killer305, Feb 20, 2005.

1. killer305

killer305 Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Im using my 86 k-10 1/2 ton to pull my camaro from Boston to Pittsburg in a couple weeks and i am concerned about the suspension. I should have around 5000 gvw, andi just want to be sure i get no sag for my 525 mile drive. Im looking at getting either airbags from air lift or those helper springs, and they both cost around the same. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either. [/font]

2. 502_Jimmy

502_Jimmy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    I'd go airbags. Deflate when not used so the ride doesnt change.

John

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Is this going to be a one time tow for your 1986 K10 or will it see towing duties on some sort of regular basis? I wouldn't spend a lot of money on setting it up to tow if you are only going to haul your camaro once. If there is only 5K worth of weight behind it with say a 10% tongue weight I would bet it will be fine stock. I have an '85 K5 blazer that pulled weight similar to that, it did sag a little but it didn't bother me since I towed non frequently.

4. therobzilla

therobzilla Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I run the Air Lift air bags on my Dually currenlty, and would not be caught without them, I tow heavy and love the fact that they adjust as needed.

When not in use, I deflate and run soft, when in need of some additional stability, inflate from in cab and away you go. The 1/2 ton setup is a little easier to install than the 1 ton setups.

Don't go with the compressor set for one time use.

My other suggestion would be to skip the air bags and go with a weight distribution hitch setup, use it once and there are very easy to sell and well worth the money. Very easy to use and very nice to tow with.

Rob

5. killer305

killer305 Member

Im going to use it once from boston to pittsburg and once back, from there i might get anouther truck when i get out of school, if not soon, then this will be my tow rig to the track.

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I would stay away from the air bags as I have heard that they tend to blow out or if having trouble with air temp drops not working properly.I belive that you would be fine with your stock set up I used a 94 f150 xlt with tow package to haul my 88 bronco to the shop I didnt have any real trouble out of the the one fifty so you should be ok saving your money nad putting it into your education.

7. killer305

killer305 Member

Im not sure what you mean by that last sentence, but ok. Im just trying to make this trip easier on me and the truck. Anyone else have any sugestions. Oh and besides if the bags did blow out, it would not be too big of a deal, im guessing airlift or any similar company has replacement bags incase one goes out.

8. therobzilla

therobzilla Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know where you are getting your information, but I have air bags on both of my trucks, Dodge Ram 1500, and Dodge Ram 3500 DRW. I live in Arizona, and Have never had a problem with them blowing out?

I would not be worried about bags blowing out at all.

9. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have never seen one blow out, nor have i heard of them blowing out when used properly. Not sure where you get to avoid them because they blow out.

10. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    For the most part, blow outs only happen when physically damaged, which given the location as over loads on light duty trucks, is very unlikely. Look at OTR trucks, they run 100s of thousands of miles with no failures and they have airbags very exposed. But without careful and correct installation, I could see lines leaking or damaged by chafing or vibration fatigue.

11. rocknbronco

I have heard horror storys of auto techs not properly shuting off the air bags and air bags blowing out down the road-sometimes accidental and sometimes not.I have driven dump trucks in the past and have seen the air bags blow out on job sites due to drivers or operators not paying close enought attention.I personally wouldnt worry to much about the air bags but would do a brake job if needed and haul the car with the truck as is the car shouldnt be to much of a burden for your truck.

12. killer305

killer305 Member

the truck has brand new brakes all the way around :D so whats the consensus saying, airbags over helper springs?

13. rocknbronco

Then go for helper springs they are fool proof and wont have any issues like air bags.

14. Rockwell572

Rockwell572 Active Member

There is a product on the market made by a company called tembrin. Thery are similar to bump stops but a lot longer. I think they are about 150 a pair and install in about 30 mins. The look like air bags but have no air and they will greatly increase your towing capacity. Sorry i dont know alot about them i only just recently saw them at a shop and they guy swore by them.

15. rocknbronco

that sounds pretty neat and the price isnt bad at all

16. Rockwell572

Rockwell572 Active Member

hey sorry i don't know alot about them but once the guy started telling me about them i tought about maybe getting some when i need a little suspenion help in the towing department .

17. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Timbrens or airbags would be my vote. I have bags and really like them, but have also heard very good things about Timbrens.

As far as airbags, look at Summit Racing, they have the best price around when I bought mine last year. Like $210 for my truck.

Marc

18. wberg

wberg New Member

Timbrens

Has anyone tried Timbrens instead of air bags?

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
  20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i have driven at elevations over 6k and heats over 120*F and NEVER had any kind of problem with my bags... loaded or unloaded. i run them at more PSI when unloaded than most people. i keel 15PSI in mine. it rides a little more cushy this way. it keeps the leaf springs in the rear to be used more as a link than a load bearing device. softens it up just a tad for most bumps. it is a bit more firm when going over larger bumpst on the highway though....
    grant