High HP towing

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by sshewins, Jan 8, 2008.

1. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Does anybody have their trucks engine heavily modified and tows? Compound turbos? How much HP do you think your pushin?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Jason Kolker (dieselnutmotorsports) pulls a 5th wheel RV trailer with his '06 Ram that has BD twins and is pushing around 650HP??? Somewhere in there... He seems to be very pleased when he travels 11 western with his setup.

3. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Like Bobby said, I tow with a fairly high powered truck. Its a big difference from the6.4's listed in your sig. If you are looking to do something with your 6.5's, you are going o have a project on your hands. Compounds are do able, but take a lot of fab work. Also, you have to have the fuel to spool them. Even those 6.5 turbo engines didn't make alot of power, and boost was really low compared to other turbodiesel engines of the time. Lets talk a little more about what you want to do.

4. sshewins

Well, I know going into this that I'm not gonna come close to what you can do. It's gonna be a 'over time' project. What I'm looking at doing is going with: either my block if OK or new one, Scat Crank cast steel crank, 18:1 pistons w/ ceramic top, HD lift pump, 5068 pump, Heaths HP4 chip and HO injectors, 4" exhst, hanging intercooler, cooling upgrades, ported and polished heads and intake (slowly working on that one now) and probably a HX or HY35 turbo. Also doing research on a propane inj system (set low to increase mileage and some power - like the older 20# portble tanks type). My goal is to make around 300 - 350 hp on ground and see as much MPG's as possible while towing (of course). I might see more and I might see less, but I think I'm being realistic in this range. I thought about water/methanal inj, but I'd need to carry massive amounts of 'juice' around, or I'd be stopping to re-fill it alot :D.

5. sshewins

I'm not sure what just happened here

Sorry guys 'bout that, It kept saying site not responding and now it won't let me delete the last two (unnessesary) posts. Again, sorry, Scott

6. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

You might do better looking in the junkyards for a 2005-2007 Duramax powertrain.

7. sshewins

I thought about stuffing a Cummins in it, but I don't want to blow huge $ on this. It more of a toy/experiment/hobby type of thing now. I've looked into the 5.9 Dodge's for serious towing. Then again, I recently read an article where a guy put a second turbo on his 6.6 and with a little tuning, put out something like, 600 HP. Can't find article right now to verify. But like I said, its more of a challenge thing right now. :)