How bad is the 6.0 really?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by JOE 600, Jan 6, 2006.

1. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

Is the 6.0 really as pronlamatic as everyone says?? If left in stock form would the truck last a decent amount of time?

2. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ive heard that the 05 and 06s are better than previous years but I still dont trust them. Even in stock form I would stay away. tons of stock trucks have had trouble. Drive by your local ford dealer and see how many 6.0s are sitting on the used lot:doah:

3. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

They have got a pretty bad rap on alot of the sights but I have yet to see it first hand. Just someones Uncles Brothers Friend had something wrong. I am not saying that they haven't had any problems just everyone I know hasn't had any. That being said you won't see me trading in my 7.3 for one anytime soon. They seem to have about the same bad rep as the GM 6.5 which which I wouldn't touch with 10' pole but quite a few around here seem to like just fine.

4. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

there okay, but overly complicated. the EGR system is problamatic, and the truck is prone to MANY oil leaks that are usually misdiagnosed. the variable turbo has only had minor failures from what i have seen when used in stock form(making your truck boost 40lbs at low RPM by messing with this is a BAD idea.)
    head gaskets are prone to leaking, usuallyu cause by someone ****ing with the turbo making it overboost.
    but sometimes they also just leak.....

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Its a new engine design and it will take some time wor work all the bugs out.
    My brother swears by the 7.3 and wont have anything but that in his Super Duty said he may go Dodge next time around.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* Member

I got my 6.0 F250 4x4 in July of '03. It currently has 66K on the odometer. Understand that this a ranch truck which has no day off, and easy days are the ones when it isn't pulling a trailer, but has a ton of feed in the bed. I have had NO problems whatsoever with the engine, but the trannny needed a new set (all six) shift servos at 18K. Other than that, it has been a trouble free powertrain. I can't stand the door chime and interior light staying on for 30 minutes after you get out, but I refuse to have the dealer reset the sensor every 10K. Because of these sensors/computers, I have decided that I will not buy an other new truck. I have an 86 K30 which will get a 12 valve 5.9, and will get rebuilt as often as needed. In short, I have had NO complaints with this engine, but I have two friends who had to force Ford to buy their trucks back under 10K because of problems with the 6.0 (both were '03 models).:stir:
    Jimbo

7. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

"86 K30 with a 12 Valve".............. Hell Yeah!

8. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

The boss decided that we'd be going with ford on the new truck so we'll see how it works out. I'm a little worried but I'm not out a truck when it breaks so it's their risk. You'll hear from me if we have any problems. It will be pulling 15k once going.

9. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Will the K series handel the 5.9 swap all that well?

10. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    There are more people that have swapped B series cummins into K series and C series Chevies than members of this site. It handles it just fine. There are even directions on how to do it at www.ck5.com

Original Poster,

I am always sceptical of very problematic engines, trans, etc. I know two guys with 2003 6.0's (the bad ones supposedly) and neither have had problems at all with anything.
    My neighbor has a 2004 Harley Edition 6.0 truck and it flat rocks. No problems in 50K and he has a 80HP Predator chip and pulls a 12K RV trailer. They are pretty darned fast trucks too.

If I was looking for an used Ford, I wouldn't even hardly consider a 7.3 after personally seeing the 6.0's power and reliability. I had the same experience with my th700R4 trans in an 80's Chevy. They have a terrible rep and I had great luck with mine.

Anyway, take bad reps. with caution, most of the time it's blown out of proportion.

11. jcarter

jcarter Member

THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAD A 2003 THAT FORD BOUGHT BACK GOT 2005 AND WITH 600 MILES I WATCHED IT GET TOWED AWAY I SOLD THE JUNK 2005 FOR 36000 AFTER PAYING 49000 WITH 900 MILES I HATE THE 6.0

ok iam done ranting a raveing now i wised up after 4 powerstrokes and got a ford F350 with a 24V cummins

12. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

New poster here, but long time poster on the Vette forums. Like was mentioned above, I've learned to take many of the negative posts about whatever with a fairly large grain of salt. They end up being very statistically biased ways of viewing things. Who posts about their car/truck? Normally the guys with problems, so that is all you read about, and it skews your opinions.

Anyone know what the real reliability numbers are? JD Powers rankings? I'll admit that I don't, but I'll do some searching to satisfy my curiousity.

I have an early 2003 F350 with the 6.0 and have been very happy with mine. I use it mostly for towing my Vette around and have 48k miles on the clock now, almost all totally trouble free. The only problem I had was at about 25k, I had an EGR valve replaced under warranty. Problem was identified and repaired in an afternoon and wasn't an inconvenience to me.

13. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have to agree somewhat, I also notice that a lot of the probs happen to people that have "tuners/chips" installed.

International only tunes the vt365 6.0 powerstroke to about 250hp and 620tq. Ford tunes them to 325hp and 560tq or so. Ford basically is tuning these thing for max output when they leave the assembly line, so everything the owner adds to help performance, ie tuners and chips, its basically wayyyy overkill. ford ships them already reached to thier limits.

14. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

I agree. I've been more than satisfied with my 6.0L's performance. I recently moved across the country to the Puget Sound and towed by Vette with all my racegear. I weight the truck/trailer/vette/gear at 15,600 lbs of GVW. At that weight, the truck averaged 14 mpg across the country with the cruise control set at 72-75 MPH almost the entire way, even over the Rockies. waytogo

15. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

gotta remember, that pickup truck HP is different form medium duty HP.
    a medium duty/heavy duty/tractor HP numbers are rrated HP numebrs that that engine can sustaion all day long.
    car/pickup numbers are max HP numbers......

16. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    good point......International rates thier numbers as peak too. Also IH governs the 6.0 rpm's at 2800 and ford at 3700. So basically the IH version of the 6.0 cant make that much hp the way its tuned.waytogo

17. CumminzRig

CumminzRig Active Member

my girlfriends father has a 04 6.0 and has been trouble free for the most part. I think the rubber boot from the turbo to the intercooler has come off a couple times, but besides that they are happy.

18. 05' CO King Ranch

05' CO King Ranch Well-Known Member

Media:
    1 Ton Hauler W/ Toys

I've owned 2 6.0's, a 2003 and now a 2005. Both of which are F-350 Crew Cab Long Beds. However my 2005 is a dually. I havent had any issues with either truck that would constitute changing brands. When I'm loaded up with my toys I'm grossing 23,000+ lbs. Tows like a Jet Plane(lots of power to spare) The only Issue I've personally had was with a 24valve Cummins (JUNK) 98 1/2 Dodge 2500 4x4. Always overheated and no local dealer could figure it out. Plus the brakes were like what you'd find on a bicycle.
    Stick with Ford If you must do enhancments to the motor do light mods. Ex. Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, Muffler Upgrade and leave it at that!!

19. Imdubious

Imdubious Member

most new motors have bugs to work out even the mighty 7.3 in 94 when they first changed to the power stroke had temp problems. u could not have A\C and an Auto trans in the same trunk at frist till ford worked out the cooling issues. and even then if u dont run the right coolent additive it pron to Etreme block pitting(Can cause cyl. wall holes)

20. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

If the 6.0 was a good motor they would have kept it. Say bye bye, here comes the even more complicated 6.4 TT. If it had been a good motor, Ford could have made it pass next years emissions, but its not worth it.