How do u make a 05 Cummins smoke?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by JOE 600, Dec 20, 2005.

1. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

I want my 2005 cummins to put out some smoke but even with my bully dog downloader, exhause, and k&N it is still clear as day. Iv also heard the switching to a banks intake will make the 05 sound more like the 98 to 02 cummins?? is that true? Thanks

2. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    I'll never understand the "want smoke" angle, but to each their own. If you want it to smoke, you need to add more fuel than it can burn, that's it. I'm sure the Cummins guys can tell you how to do that.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    First of all get rid of the K&N, your engine will thank you. If you want smoke turn up the setting on your muffler bearing 3 clicks counter clockwise, it will smoke like crazy and get all the chicks.

4. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    rotflwaytogo

5. IceHouse

IceHouse Member

My stock 05 will produce plenty of smoke if I floor it and the rpms are above 2 grand. Co worker that was behind me on the freeway made a point to tell me that something was wrong with my truck because of all the black smoke. She had no idea that my truck was a diesel. Had fun the other day with a bicyclist that wouldn't move to the shoulder, when I could finaly pass I filled his lungs with diesel smoke.

6. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

Why remove the K&N??? dosent that help produce more power... and what is the Muffler bearing and how do i turn it up? thanks

7. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Willy was just messin with ya, "Muffler bearing" is on the same page as "blinker fluid" or getting 15 HP from a "type R" sticker etc.
    If I remember right, Willy didn't have good results with his K&N.

8. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

Haha yea i thought muffler bearing sounded like a bs part... but thanks

9. willyswanter

Media:
    K&N's are all around crappy filters, used in gas or diesel rigs. They do not filter near as well as a stock paper filter. There are numerous tests on various sites showing flow and filtration. If you have an engine failure due to pour filtration Cummins will not warranty it if it has a K&N on it, whats that tell you? If you want an aftermarket filter worth anything go with AFE Pro Guard 7 or stay with the stock setup and a good Fleetguard paper filter.

10. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto, junk the K&N. THey are just a big market sceeming company. I would go with the AFE or even the new Green brand filters. The Greens look good..???..(opinions welcome on that!)

One thing you could do to help make it smoke is put the stock filter and housing on. Less air equals a richer mixture.

Having a banks anything will not make your truck sound like a 2nd gen Ram, it would take special programming that eliminates the multi fire junk that makes the motor sound like crap at idle.

11. mossertrucking

mossertrucking Well-Known Member

go with a afe but 3rd just dont smoke like older 12v and pre 02 24v

12. Carlos

Carlos Member

[​IMG]

13. JCorcoran

JCorcoran Member

I just love that picture.waytogo

14. Carlos

Carlos Member

So why would someone want to make a truck smoke? Is this like the diesel equivalent of those ricer cars making ugly noises? Or are people equating smoke with power (smoke is power blowing out the pipe but not delivered to the wheels)?

15. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

I like to make my truck smoke to cause tailgaters to back off. It has about an 85% success rate so far. And the key to smoking is adding more fuel than you have air for. It's also a good idea to make sure you don't deliberately smoke innocent people. But when I can't see someone's headlights over my tailgate, it's time to roll some smoke. Edited to add on a stock 05 exhaust, simply drive it really easy for a few days or a week, and after that when you lay into the throttle you'll get a good burst of smoke. Of course that's only good for a shot or two before you need to drive easy again to build up the soot reserve...

16. Carlos

Carlos Member

I don't have that kind of self control.

17. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Laying out the smoke....oh boy.....seems to be a fairly hot topic.:doah:

I would think that it would be dumb to lay down smoke at stock power levels. I think it's great that the newer engines are able to keep from smoking. I'm still at stock power, and wouldn't choose it to be smokey over completely clear if I could.

With upgrades, it's pretty cool. Yes, it's a sign of power because stock trucks don't smoke, so unless you REALLY need to change your air filter, you are smoking because you have a power upgrade.

With that I think people need to be carefull with how much smoke they blow at certain times. It seems a lot of guys are running adjustable boxes now, keep the power on the low side when you are in town. I know that our little downtownish area has a lot of pedestrians and slow traffic, bad time to puff.

When you've got some room between you and other traffic, or prefereable there is no one around....thats pretty darned fun to lay out a black stream every once and a while.

Night time is great, no one can really see that actuall amount.

Another thing we all have to watch out for is the greeny people that will turn you in, if people think you are polluting too much, they can copy down your license number and turn you into air pullution control. :mad:

18. willyswanter

Media:
    A 3rd gen isn't a 12 valve. It takes quite a bit of a heavy foot to make smoke. I run around on 4/4 and it will smoke like crazy if I floor it but 90% of the time I drive like a little old lady so it doesn't make any smoke. I can run it on 9/9 and make no smoke during normal driving. The only way it's going to make smoke is if I really get on it so it's not like cruising through downtown I need to go to 0/0...

19. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I do the same thing in my daily driver, but it confuses the hell out of people when they get sooted by a Jetta. :D

20. AZcowboy2006

AZcowboy2006 Well-Known Member

I have a 04.5 and I can make mine smoke like crazy through 1st & 2nd.I think some of it is from the air intake that I put on it. I should have used the AFE stage 2 not the airraid.