I thought she was ole reliable

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by withmyhaironfire, Dec 27, 2008.

1. withmyhaironfire

withmyhaironfire New Member

I am the self admitted techno idiot. I know simply know what to buy to make them pulling machines. Nothing crazy on my second truck. its a 2000 2wd dually that we use like a mini semi. Today she coughed and threw a code and I can't find it on line. I know you guys, in here, are super helpful. This truck lost rpm signal, check engine came on and ran doggy. When I got home to do the on -off thing it threw out P 1693 and the FASS pump came on then off and on then off etc. When it cycled the RPM's jumped up and down without the truck running. I am confused now even worse because I just went to get some beverages and it ran fine!?!?!?! WTF PLEASE tell me its something simple. But with my luck it won't thanks for the help MATT:eek:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. withmyhaironfire

withmyhaironfire New Member

Ok i told you I was retarded the code is P1693 and I just drove it and it ran awesome???? Time to Trade???

3. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Im not sure what the codes are but I would be lookin at some sensors, cam pos. and the like. With your rpm guarge jumping around like that it tells me that its an electronic problem...

4. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

P1693 is often called a "companion" code... meaning there is another one stored that must be retrieved with a scan tool. In your case it may well be the P0216 code.... VP44 time. :doah:

5. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

You need to get a scan tool on it and find out what code it was and then go from there. waytogo

6. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yes, the 1693 is a companion code. it simply means a code has been set. If it set another code like the P0216, you would have seen that via the key trick. My guess is you have a cam or crank sensor on the fritz. Check the wiring first, then you will need to get the scanner and see if you can read the sensors directly to find the bad one.

7. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

The same thing happened to me. the tach needle jumping around is usually one of the tell tale signes that the CPS is taking a crap on you. Pull the code with the tool and hopefully that will be all.

Mike