In the market for a tow rig, help me decide between 2 options

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Josh86k10, Jul 16, 2007.

?

Which one

1. Ford F550

37.5%
  2. Dodge 3500

50.0%
  3. I don't know if the nekkid option is required here at towrig, but here ya go.

12.5%
  1. Josh86k10

Josh86k10 New Member

My father just started a business and has already outgrown his 93 F350 with the non-turbo 7.3 and a 5 speed.

He has found a couple of options, but we're looking for opinions from those who know more about tow rigs.

Option 1:
    2004 Ford F550, 4x4, automatic, dually, ext cab, 92K miles, metal floor flat bed (12' I believe... flat bed is definite plus given his use), diesel (unknown which), ~$26K.

Option 2:
    2005 Dodge 3500, 4x4, 6spd, 85K miles, pickup bed, dually, ext cab, cummins, also ~$26K.

The Dodge would need a flat bed to serve his purposes, I just always hear such good things about the Cummins. He'll be using it to haul industrial equipment around the country. Having the flat bed is nice for smaller loads (no need to pull a trailer) but it will be towing most of the time, goose neck and bumper pull. Educate me about these rigs, I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to late model diesels and the trucks they come in. What are the common problems asociated with each?

2. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

the Ford is a 6.0... get the service records on it, ive heard when the run they are sweet

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The Ford is going to be a better truck.... no question about it because it's a heavier duty vehicle.

The 6.0 is not the most prefered power option, but you'll probably be ok with it. If you guys do have engine problems, get in with a good dealer. That truck should still have some warranty left and it has lots of TSB's out there.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    with 08 models around the corner would it not be an option to hold out for a great deal on an 07? then you could also look into more options. if its a work truck it may not NEED all the bells and whistles. a base model dodge chassis cab 3500 is around 26k right now. add a few options and some great end of model year close out discounts and one could score a nicely equipped 07 CC for 29k...

5. BTTB-RAM

BTTB-RAM Well-Known Member

Get the Ford, it's a better built truck...waytogo

6. O'Bar

O'Bar Member

Albums:
    I have a F550 2002, its a work horse, noe I have the 7.3 in it. :>

7. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

How about the new Dodge 5500? Dodge really got it right with their new medium duty trucks.waytogo