Insurance for F550 (or Medium duty truck)

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Tom, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Tom

Tom Member

Media:
    Considering purchasing an F550 for personal use (RV).

I've heard that some insurance companies do not insure them or that insurance is very high.

Just wondering if I could get some feedback from people that have them personally insured.

Thanks

2. u2slow

u2slow Member

Pleasure use is cheaper for a given GVWR. Also, only insure to the GVW you plan to use.... this amount may or may not have to include what you are towing. (depends on what is being towed).

3. Tom

Tom Member

Media:
    I've heard some brokers won't insure F450 and F550 trucks "Personal", only commercial.
    Anyone have this experience?

4. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

call your agent and start asking questions...........
    tell them its a personal use RV puller and go from there......

5. Tom

Tom Member

Media:
    thanks for the advice. As it turns out, there's a great range of prices as well as those that won't insure it "personal".

I'll post up who I went with (and my policy #, if you want to make a claim) :)

T

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I have know companys to charge extra for them but I have never heard of a company not offering a policy for one.

7. SidtheSquid

SidtheSquid New Member

I'm in the final days of buying a 2000 F550 7.3L Crew Cab Custom Standard Pickup Bed XLT 4x4 and have been having similar problems with getting insured for personal use.
    Because it has a GVWR over 10K lbs California requires a minimum $750,000 Collision and personal injury coverage due to its weight...and that it's in California :mad: Through the Gecko insurance company i was quoted at $2600 for 12 months...and i have a perfect driving record!
    Havent heard anything back from State Farm but im guessing it will be in the same ballpark.
    The best quote ive got was the first one from my current insurance company, USAA. They dont cover commercial vehicles (or motorcycles) but offer coverage through Progressive and worked out a deal with Prog to get all the same discounts (like multi car and what not). Got quoted through them at $1500 for 12 months...still more than i pay for the three other vehicles combined but relatively not bad considering the other options out there.
    I'm new to this size truck, but i wanted to make sure i had all the bases covered before i start hauling a 40ft gooseneck around thats loaded down...making sure im doing it all legal like. ive heard the fines for overweight can be HUGE, as well as extremely dangerous were i to loose control with a class 3 pick up that "can" haul it but control is always the issue.

anyone have a better option out there for insurance coverage?
    thx,
    jonny

8. SidtheSquid

SidtheSquid New Member

alright, got word back from State Farm with a quote at $401 for six months...THATS MORE LIKE IT!!!:pimp:

9. ponyakr

ponyakr New Member

Medium Duty Truck Insurance

I realize that this is a really old post, but I just recently started looking for non-commercial med duty ins. It ain't easy to find. But I finally found some that doesn't require RV status. It's good for F-450, 550, 4500, 5500, TerraStar and others this size. It can be a pickup, cab & chassis, flat or box bed, most any kind.

And you can use it for any non-commercial purpose, including hauling or towing a race car. And it's cheap too. My quote was only about $32 per month for 100/300/50 liability & uninsured motorists. It sounds too good to be true. But you can check it out for yourself.

Call agent John Wilson--ext 234 @ 1-888-803-5999 for your quote and more details. Hope this helps somebody. :)