Is there a way to get more smoke from a stock 12v?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by KidJethro, Nov 1, 2005.

1. KidJethro

KidJethro Well-Known Member

Over the past week or so, there have been a couple occasions where it would have been soooooo appropriate (atleast in my mind) to beable to blow a bit of black smoke at someone.rotfl Is there a way to get a bit more without adding a fuel plate etc? I get a small puff of black smoke if blip the throttle, but thats it. I seem to remember hearing something about "turing up the pump"...What does that mean? What does it do?

One of these days, I'm gonna start bombing this thing...Can't go too nutty cause of the stock auto trans, but I figure a #6 plate along with a 3K GSK and the AFE stage 1 will be just about perfect. Truck is already straight piped. But untill then, I want some more smoke. rotfl

2. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    If I remember correctly you can crank the star wheel a bit and make some smoke but I have no clue on what the side effects are.

3. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    EGT's, better have a pyro installed.

4. KidJethro

Pyro is sitting in a box on my coffle table...:doah: :eek:

Star wheel? Where on the pump is it?

5. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    http://www.tstproducts.com/pdffiles/AFC-KIT8.pdf#search='cummins afc housing'

There is some information about it. Most of the directions deal with installing TST's AFC kit, but you dont need to worry about that. The first 2 or 3 paragraphs will tell you were the starwheel is, and how to access it. Just crank her towards the engine, after you get your pyro in of course, and get ready to watch some smoke roll.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    What does that star wheel control? Timing?

7. KidJethro

Hmmm.... wouldn't it control the amount of fuel?

8. CTD NUT

CTD NUT Well-Known Member

Media:
    The star wheel controls the rate of low boost fueling but does not have anything to do with ultimate fueling. It preloads a spring against a diaphram that receives a boost signal. Boost pressurizes the diaphram and it in turn acts against the spring. The tighter the spring is, the more boost that is required to act on the spring to move the AFC throttle stop and the later and slower the boost enrichment comes in. If smoke is your thing, remove the AFC spring. This eliminates the AFC throttle stop from getting in the way at all and will give instant and full fueling - not what I would want but, IMO, I don't think tons of black smoke is really all that cool and it attracts a lot of unwanted attention. Also, when you start tinkering with the AFC and cam plates, install a pyro gauge......you are tuning blind without it and melting a piston just isn't any fun!

9. KidJethro

Well, I certainly dont want my truck to smoke like a locomotive. I don't want that much attention either. Just want alittle more than I've got now. Enough to blow a puff or two into the side windows of the damn lowrider dickheads.rotfl Removing the spring seems like it would be a bit excessive.

10. Ken Stewart

Ken Stewart Member

Media:
    A nice clean truck drawa more attention then smoke

There nothing any better then a nice clean truck to draw attention then one that smokes.

11. KidJethro

My truck is just about as clean looking as it gets. So much so thats it's boring.

Anyways, I didn't ask for opinions on smoke, I just asked how to get more. :popcorn:

12. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have my star wheel turn in all the way (about 40 clicks) and I ground my stock plate into a #100 pattern in the stock location. If oyu lug it at all it makes a nice smoke screen.... enough you literally can barely see through it. If I am in the boost it still hazes pretty decent. Look at my vids from putfile username mnorby. I should take a vid of just lugging it sometime

13. CTD NUT

Media:
    Do what Mnorby said.....the #100 is IMO, the best plate profile to have. That plate with a slackened AFC spring will allow for much more power and the ability to tune for the desired amount of smoke and boost enrichment. Plus, these mods are free!:D

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 Well-Known Member

in ny state thay have made a few new changes. all big rigs and other oil burners can be ticketed for black smoke. and best part of all is not by the cops or dot man. the dec is the one doing this for the bigger trucks. so might want to check local and state laws first before you go belching black all over.

and try off road fuel as the higher sulfer content helps lube the pump and gives more black. but dont get a ticket for non taxed fuel in your truck.

15. KidJethro

My truck is an auto...Don't think it would handle all that without some tranny upgrades. What does a #100 plate look like compared to a stock one?

16. Ken Stewart

Ken Stewart Member

Media:
    Smoke

You are correct about one thing the trans won't stand much extra power.My 1995 Is a automatic and always taken care of and only had 44,000 miles but when we took It apart to upgrade It was not good. The tourque converter had several burn't spots. We put a three stage tourque converter and upgraded the valve body.What a difference now.It nice to drive. :stir: Did not mean to upset you abour truck.Just one old mans thoughts.Hang In there you will be OK.What you and I got Is better then this I hope?

Attached Files:

17. CTD NUT

Media:
    How you tune the AFC and the plate positioning is easily just as important as the plate profile you select. Remember, you have the ability to tune the pump for the desired level of power......what the stock tranny and TC will handle is another story. The potential to make a ton of extra torque is there but is up to you to tune and use it responsibly so as not to destroy a tranny that isn't equipped to handle the desired power level.

I will still suggest the #100 plate but tune it to where it won't cause too much converter slip or abuse the lock-up clutch.

BTW, the #100 looks like a smooth ramp - almost like a ski jump.....very different from the stock plate which has multiple defueling points.

18. Ken Stewart

Ken Stewart Member

Media:
    Will 100# plate hurt fuel mileage

Will the 100# plate hurt fuel mileage.Where do you get It?:pimp: My 95 Is a MH with a cummings.

Attached Files:

19. KidJethro

Ok, so the #100 plate is what I should look into. I can make my stock plate into a #100....So how do I know what shape to make it? Need a picture, template, write-up or somthin....

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "tuning"?

I need to sign up on TDR one of these days....

20. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    here is my 100 plate before and after:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006