Jacobs exhaust brake vacuum pump

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by mfurrh55, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mfurrh55

mfurrh55 Active Member

Media:
    Here a few months back , I posted trying to find out how to install an air dog fuel system on my truck, The trouble was ,that my jacobs vacuum pump was in the way, well,what i finally had to do was buy an electric vacuum pump and do away with belt driven one, man this unit works perfectly too, it doesn't run constantly like the belt driven ,also don't have to worry about the pump going out and leaving me stranded because of a broken belt, anyway if any of you out there ever run into this problem, just a thought!

2. cowboy_cadillac

cowboy_cadillac New Member

If I were to install an air dog I would put in on the frame rail behind the cab. I have future plans for one and thats where I intend for it to go. Just curious, what pump did you pick up? Mine took a dive a few weeks ago and I am wanting to go electric with it but have no idea of what pump to use.

3. midwest_runnner

midwest_runnner Member

i was thinking about a Jacobs, and then found out it was vacuum actuated. so I went with a PacBrake. the air actuated seemed to be a better cause now i have onboard air as well

4. mfurrh55

mfurrh55 Active Member

Media:
    Air dog

I went with the jacobs and used a vacuum pump/air pump, i can use it for vacuum or use it as an air pump, i mounted it over in front of the turbo, i put a amsoil bypass on the intake side

5. midwest_runnner

midwest_runnner Member

correct me if i am wrong but isn't the jacobs pump engine driven???

6. mfurrh55

mfurrh55 Active Member

Media:
    Vacuum pump

I didn't use the engine vacuum pump, i went ahead and used a Thomas vacuum/ air pump, it works great, It is an air pump hooked up backwards, i use the vacuum side to the jacobs brake