Leaking Problem

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by TheGeneral, May 20, 2006.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

My 97 has started to slowly drip what looks like oil on the driveway. I crawled up under it and it seems to be coming from the big pipe that goes from the turbo up front to the intercoller (I assume its the intercooler but I could be mistaken). It only leaks a tiny bit but Id like to go ahead and get it taken care of before the problem escalates. Why would it be leaking from there? I didnt even think any oil was supposed to flow through the intercooler lines.
    Thanks guys,
    Justin

2. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

thats not your problem. th eIC lines will be wet and the boots wet, but they will not drip to the gorund and make puddles. look elsewhere for your leak.....

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Unless your turbo is going out. How many miles on the truck? I have had turbos go out on our 60 series Detroits and they pump oil into the intercooler. If you don't try and clean out the intercooler it makes the truck smoke enough to make a pro sled puller envious, seriously.:doah:

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

So its okay for the lines and the boots to be wet? I put it up on the lift today and took a closer look. The Intercooler lines are wet and just before the pipe turns up it looks like a tiny bit collects and might cause a drip or two every now and then. Is that too much dampness for the lines to have? I guess I should clarify a little bit about how much it drips. I only noticed it after it sat for two days and there was only a tiny bit of oil on the ground. I just hate for my trucks to leak anything so if I can fix it I want to, especially if its going to get any worse.

5. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

dampness at all intercooler connections is normal for a turbo diesel....
    if it is excessive you are getting extra oil into the intercooler someway, either by excessive engine blow by, or a turbo seal leaking into the intake side.
    are your IC clamps tight near where its leaking?

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I had a customers truck start leaking on him I checked all over the pipeing and the seal on the drivers side head gasket was leaking.Check the head,valve cover,pan gasket just to be sure go clean it off at a car wash then check it ast home.

7. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I meant check it all over again at your home or parking lot nearby

8. Teacher

Teacher New Member

Leak

Is your leak diesel fuel? If so, you may want to check your return fuel line(s). They are known to fail. Do you still have prime when you try to start the next day? If it is hard starting, it is a good indication you are losing fuel at the lines.

9. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

I didnt even think to check if it was diesel, I just assumed it was oil. How long would it take to start if it were losing its prime? It does take a little bit longer to start in the mornings but I just thought that was because it was cold. It never takes more than just a few seconds to start, but Ive noticed if I push the gas pedal slightly it starts almost immediatly.

Also, when I shut the truck off there is a hissing sound like high pressure air escaping through a small hole. The noise seems to be coming from the general area that my leak is coming from. Ive been to busy to get it up on the lift and check for loose fittings but I didnt know if this was a normal occurance or a sympton of something going wrong.

Im driving cross country next week (not in my truck) and plan on spending as much time as it takes to get my truck in top shape when I get back. So any suggestions of possible problem areas are welcome.

10. Teacher

Teacher New Member

Fuel Leak

I too had that problem. I thought it was oil because I thought diesel would evaporate away and not leave a stain. I was wrong.
    There is an excellent thread on the TDR site entitled, "Fuel leak fixed - lessons learned. It is by WBusa
    Try the following thread: http://turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127562
    It tells you how to check and fix your problem.
    Good luck.
    Teacher

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    When you hear this hiss, has the A/C been on while you were driving?

12. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

Yeah the AC has been on. Is that what causes the hissing?

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, a lot of pressure is built on the high side of the A/C system. Once the pump quits running it start depressurizing inside the system. This is what you are hearing, or at least I think thats it.

14. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

check the boot for a small hole or crack. On some diesels , a lack of backpressue at the turbo will allow the seal to leak. That might also be where your oil is dripping from.

15. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

Well I went to the car wash today and completly hosed off the engine. The wheel cleaner works wonders for removing dirt and grease. So the entire underside of the engine bay is now sparkling clean and I cant see any sign of a leak anymore. Ill keep a look out for it over the next few days and see what happens.