Let's talk biodiesel

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuels' started by MTMike, Aug 8, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

I don't ever recall a biodiesel thread in here, so lets do it.

First off, does anyone here brew their own? If so, lets hear about it.

I have always liked the idea, and I saw an episode of TRUCKS! a few months ago where he had this distiller machine that did a lot of the work.

I'm interested in the idea of brewing my own, and wanted to hear opinions from those who either do it, or know people who do. Where'd you get the equipment, what kind of equip, and how much did it cost?

Mike

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I know it's made out of corn and other grains but not much more than that. I have heard that you get nearly double the mileage with it over petroleum diesel though.

I think that in 40 years bio diesel will be the #1 fuel for diesel engines, especially since 99% of the cars in say 2046 will be fuel cell vehicles.

3. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

In the episode of TRUCKS, he used waste cooking oil from a restaurant that just gave it to him, he then took it to the shop, and did some simple chemsitry stuff with Lye, then used this machine he bought, and he said it cost him in total about $0.70/gal for it.

Pretty sweet if you ask me.

4. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
  5. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I think recycled vegetable oil and biodiesel are two different fuels. Not sure though.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You make biodiesel out of vegetable oil, that's what the machine does. It refines the veggie oil using lye and methanol to make bio.

The mileage claim is bogus, you generally get about the same on bio as with dino. I would like to run bio in my DD (VW TDI) but not in my Ford. I've heard that the 6.0 doesn't like bio for some reason although I haven't heard the specifics.

8. stallion85

stallion85 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I work in the Fuels career field in the Airforce. We use Bio Diesel here at Nellis Air Force base. We get it from a supplier in AZ. Supposedly it is better on the environment. We pay $1.70 a gallon that is contracted for the whole year, could go up next year. It has worked with no problems on the vehicles so far, but the power pro guys who have to use it in there backup generators say it clogs up the injectors due to the fact they only run them once a month for testing. The oil seperates from the fuel if it sits too long.

I think it would be great if the commercial market would start to sell it, we could see some price drops if we are lucky :rolleyes:

Oh ya and the MPG increase is not true. It is about the same as reg No2 Diesel...........

9. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil) is just what it says. Typically requires changes to the system including heaters and extra filters. These are the guys who basically filter fry oil and remove the water with minimal processing before dumping it in the tank. Old Mercedes and VW diesels seem best suited for this, or at least that is where you usually see them.

B100 is SVO that is processed into diesel fuel. Basically very similar in characteristics to petro diesel but with a bit more energy (no a lot, probably not enough to care about) and MUCH better lubricity with very low sulfur and other things bad for the environment.

B? is a mix of bio and petro. For instance, B5 is 5% bio with the balance of petro. Supposedly better for modern diesels and no manufacturer that I am aware of recommends anywhere near B100 for their engines.

BTW, local Phoenix supplier of B100 has been running it in his '02 DMax just like mine for the last several years and reports no problems.

10. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    The problem with making your own is most commercial places will not give you their old fry oil. So you'd have to find small mom n pop places to get it. Then there is the initial $3k cost of the machine if you don't make your own.

11. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

Actually that is all crap. Most places are happy to give it to you because it cost them money to have it hauled off. the only ones we have had any problems with are the large chains like Burger king because they have nation wide contract with the oil haulers. Schools, hospitals and most resturants are happy to have it reclycled into some thing good for the enviroment in stead of paying to have it removed or dumped in the landfill. We have less than $800 into our processor. your dumb or just plain lazy to spend big money on these premade processors when it take less that 3/4 of a saturday afternoon to get up and running. WVO (used fryer oil) is what is used to make biodiesel through a simple chemical process called transesterification. Basically you do a PH test and add the appropriate amount of methanol and lye to the WVO and some heat. Drain off the glycerin and wash remaining impurities and POOF bio diesel.All you need is a waterheater, 55gal drums and some pipe and pump. this has been very simplified but it is no harder that making BEER from a home brew kit.

12. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    Actually, I checked 13 local (mom & pop shops) approx. 14 months ago, when I first read about it on the net. At that time the machine was $2300.00 and all the instructions to run it. The owners asked what I wanted their oil for and how I was going to dispose of it. Once informed, every single one of them wanted money for the Veg oil. I suppose for their time and energy in dumping it into containers - I would provide.
    There is too much greed in the world today. Face it, nothings free..... If you can find a free source, keep it to yourself. Others will be looking too.

As for TRUCKS getting it free, hey it's a TV show.....

13. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

what can I say thats the east coast for ya. At least here in the midwest people still are good to each other, well except for the people moving in from both coasts who want to bring there crappy city attitude with them.

14. BlacksmokeRam02

BlacksmokeRam02 Member

I'm not a fan of the hippie juice, but thats just an opinion, yeah the waste veggie oil is free but its a mileage and performance loss. & i like goin fast.

15. gfc

gfc New Member

BioDiesel

In all my older Mechanical cummins' they work well on bio
    my last 98.524v i ran 100% bio no problems I live in Nortern Arizona cold winter hot summers.Hav not put a batch thru new 07 5.9 but wil as soon as i run a few new batches . I also run it in my Heavy equipment no problemo .It is worth it IF you have time to collect and "brew" a batch A couple hours avg per batch thats collecting and brewing GFC