load range 'D' tires...

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by 4054x4, Nov 9, 2005.

1. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
  2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Can't post a "deep" link to Summit (and many other catalogs) because they keep your user data/id in the local (on your computer) "cookies".

There was some in depth discussion a while back (several actually) on D vs. E. I run "D"s with higher weight ratings than the stock "E"s and I have no complaints. So the short answer is "yes". However, there are other things to consider, and that was all covered in the other threads... Look specifically for a thread I started on this very topic.

3. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    What are you towing to Utah Ben??

I just put Ds on my truck in a bigger than stock size and they have a load rating higher than that of the Es that come from the factory. The only time that you are really going to need a super high load rating is when you are hauling a slide in camper or a big-azz fifth wheel. with what you use your truck for Ben you will be fine with a D.

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    i think max wants me to tow all the sound / band stuff up there for the axis trip... i need to buy a brake controller and a hitch / ball before xmas...

hey i think im gonna get me some nitto terragrapplers 295/70/17... im in the process of going back and forth between america's and discount tire center trying to get the best price:pimp:

5. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Do some research on the nittos first. I was going to get them for my truck b/c they were like $35 cheaper per tire. I did some research and found out that they didnt last very long (25k seemed common) I personally know people with the BFG ATs with 45k on them and a few thousand to go.

As for the brake controller look at the Tekonsha Prodigy. Alot of guys on here are running them and love them. You should be able to find one for less that$100 shipped on the internet. Try E-Bay and Amazon. Do a search on this site for prodigy.

As for a hitch get one of these. It will be the last hitch you buy. It has both size balls and is ultra beefy. I wish I could return all the receivers I have and get one Rapid Hitch:doah:
    Here is a thread about the Rapid-Hitch
    https://towrig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585&highlight=rapid+hitch

6. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    Or if your tow rig happens to also be a dump truck waytogo

7. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    that kinda sucks... i already started getting quotes for the nittos... guess i might have to buy a leveling kit and get the 315's.

8. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well look at it this way ben...a set of H2 takeoffs and a leveling kit will probably be about the same price as a new set ot nittos. And they will last longer and look better to boot!

9. tuff84blaze

tuff84blaze Member

Media:
    I was in this same dilemma a couple of months ago, after doing research I ended up getting the BFG’s. Go with the Bfg's you won’t be disappointed in performance or wear.

10. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    x2:popcorn:

11. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    ya also the problem is that i dont really want to get a 315 because they are way expensive and they will rub (unless i spend even more money on spacers which i dont want to do)... and it ends up being just about as expensive if you buy them on ebay and have them shipped and installed. i want to get bigger then a 285 but less then a 315 (bfg does not make sizes in between those 2). I got a quote for new bfg 285/70/17's for like $980 from Jims tire man :eek:. I can get the nittos (295/70/17) for $840 at america's... i dunno its just so much cheaper and i dont have too much money to throw around so id like to at least give them a chance.

12. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

if you haven't gotten one already I'll add to the positive response on the prodigy and say I got the best price at http://www.rjays.com/, I've gotten a couple for work there and they are very quick to deliver. I'd recommend getting a custom cable to your truck as well, much cleaner than making your own and only a few buck more. They also sell the rapid hitch which was mentioned earlier.

no affiliation or relation, just a happy customer.

13. ARM

ARM New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    285 D's

I Have Run 285/65/16's On 3 Different Trucks With Out Any Problems. I Have Yokohama At's On The Dmax With About 15k On Them Now. Tow 13.5k . They Actually Have A Higher Weight Carring Capcity Then The E Rated Tires. The Yoko's Run Me 149 Ea Mounted And Balanced At Big O Tires..
    Had Goodyear At's On My 03 And With 37 K On Them They Looked Like New..
    Keep Them Rotated And Balanced And They Will Go Along Ways..

Arm:)

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    the BFG's i have on my truck are D rated. 315-70-17's. comes out to abouta 35 inch tire. the factory 265-75-17's were E rated. they are just around a 32 inch tire. due to te larger foot print of the 35's BOTH tires are rated for 3195lbs of load. the thing is that the 265's are 10 ply and hold at 80lbs and te 8 ply only 50lbs. a lil more squishy to tow with, nicer to drive with. i dont think i will be towing again before i get new tires as i push te limits on them already.

ill get some 20's and some 34 inch tires that are E rated and 3400lbs on the tires and 3800lbs on the rims.
    Grant

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    4 brand new 315's are only 550. used with 60% life left are 250. this includes H2 rims that canbe sold for 100.00 each.

check at your local hummer dealership. you would be surprised.
    Grant

16. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    you can buy the tires from a hummer dealership? thats cool im gonna look into that... oh ya and you have the 315's on your truck right? do they rub at all? that is one thing that i want to avoid at all costs... i put 235's on my stock s-10 and they rubbed... that was a pain in the butt.

17. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ben go to Recycler.com and search for H2 tires or 315s. you could probably find a good deal

18. DieselPower215

DieselPower215 Member

Nittos are great tires

I have the 315/75 R16 Terra Grapplers on my truck and LOVE them. I am frequently towing and they are showing no problems. Have excellent treadwear, smooth and quiet...yet aggressive for mile offroading. Plus Discount Tire offers a free replacement warranty (for a little extra) and its worth it. I got all 4 Nittos with free replacement warranty (Excellent coverage) for less than a set of BFGs with no warranty. As a side note, I used to have the BFG Mud Terrain and within 15k miles they started cupping out and I had to replace them. BFG told me that they are not responsible for that because they are not "highway radials"...so I went for the Nittos after that. Just something to think about. waytogo

19. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Thats cool that you have had such good luck w/ the nittos. I guess the treadwear is POTENTIALLY worse than the BFG's. I think the main reason for this though is that people try to put to big of a tire on too skinny of a rim which makes the center of the tire wear out prematurley. I have read of people getting 40-45k out of the nittos and as little as 25-30k. I think it really depends on how disiplined you are when it comes to rotations and maintaining pressure.

20. DieselPower215

DieselPower215 Member

I definitely agree on the rotation/balancing statement. I do it every couple months (even if Im less than 3000 miles) just because its an easy and free task and it does nothing but good for em. Those are a biggie when it comes to proper maintenance and life from oversize tires like that