Locking down the trailer>>>>>???

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by Burt4x4, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    So my trailer will be in my driveway to start with.
    How can I lock it up so no one steels it?
    I figure a bike type lock thru the two tire wheels, locking the wheels together...

I am thinking of sinking a pole in the ground and locking it to a pole??

Ideas?
    What do you all use? :popcorn:

Burt

2. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    3/4" cable with loop ends, run through the rims and over the framerail. If they really wanted it they could still cut through it, but its would have taken more work and more importantly more time than than if we just had a bike lock on it.

3. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

I will probably use one of these to keep my trailer on my property.. someone could cut through it, but they'd have to take a lot of time to do it.... This would at least deterr them a bit..

[​IMG]

Scott

4. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Not to burst your bubble, but I do believe an abrasive cutter (say cut-off on a cordless 4.5" grinder or die-grinder) will make very short work of that. I can go through a 1/2 hardened pin in about 30 seconds or so, an average pad lock in about 5 seconds, maybe less. I doubt that thing would take more than a minute at most. Of course it would be noisy, and that alone would deter many thieves...

5. Burt4x4

Media:
    I have chains and locks going thru my wheels right now. i thought about getting one of thoes hitch & ball locks like above too. Maby the more things that need to be cut off the theif will look on for someone elses trailer..??
    I want to try and figure out how to lock the jack. If I raise it up then lock it, it won't be towable cus the jack is too far extended...

6. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You have a bulldog hitch, right? Get this one, no shank to cut on it - http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...re_Code=E&Product_Code=28022&Category_Code=CL

[​IMG]

Then chain the wheels on one side together, for the ultimate in security go to a bike shop and buy a kryptonite New York Chain, they're virtually impossible to cut through and come with a U-lock that's much stronger than a padlock. Expensive at $100 for a 6 footer, but pretty incredible looking and very intimidating to a thief.

7. Burt4x4

Media:
    SWEET! Thanks Shagg waytogo :pimp:
    I will check into it.
    Thanks
    Burt

8. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

That is actually really cool.. I like that one too.. I may have to invest in one for my trailer, once its back together, and restored..
    Scott

9. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    That's pretty cool, any others or is that one of the best?

10. Rockwell572

Rockwell572 Active Member

trailer lock

whats the world coming to when we need all kinds of contraptions to keep our stuff safe?? im not that old and not from a very big town but i can never remember even locking the house unless my old man was outof town. now when i go home to see the family i have to dig out the keys andthat sucks when it rains. heck when i was in college i had a small trailer to haul my k5 around on and i only locked it down when i went out of town for he weekend, but now like most of you i lock everything down and i dont even leave the keys in the trucks anymore.

11. Burt4x4

Media:
    I ended up using a 15dollor coupler lock pin. Basically keeps the coupler closed, so no one can get a ball to go into the coupler. That and I have both sides of the trailer's tires chained to eachother...in time I may comeup with something different but for now that's all I got...

12. Blue Ridge Runner

Blue Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

I have non locking Bull Dog coupler. I use a master lock brand cable between the wheels. If I ever change couplers I will probably make the replacment removable using a female class 4 receiver. If there is there no coupler than they can't hook to the trailer. :cool:

13. SBChero

SBChero Active Member

14. dubbyx

dubbyx Well-Known Member

The gorilla locks are cool as a visual deterrent. I've had mine since the day after I bought my trailer, and just kinda gave up on using it. After a few months it got hard to put it on and take it off. Might have had something to do with backing into the trailer in the dark and bending the metal bar over the top. It makes a good paperweight now though.

I use the little hitch pin locks in my bulldog, and moved it into the back yard with the Great Dane. He helps, plus likes to lay around on it on sunny days.

15. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

16. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

i just leave the truck hooked onto it. they cant steal my trailer if somethign is aready attached to it.
    the only problem beiong there is that the keys are in the ignition of the truck thats hooked to it.

17. paulsmith

paulsmith Member

I have a 5/8" wrecker cable through the tongue, You have a hard time cutting steel cable with bolt cutters, but a power tool or torch will cut through anything.

Some trailers have removable hitches, just take it off.

Take the lug nuts off the wheels on one side of the trailer. A trailer will just "stand there" with no lug nuts on the wheel if you dont move it. I do it all the time.

Locking the saftey chains to the jack handle...

Welding a cheap hitch ball to something, then locking it in the hitch.

I have some 5" pipe cut 12" long with 24" of BIG chain welded to it, slip the over the hitch, wrap the chain around the jack and lock it to itself. Paint the pipe bright orange. If you are really worried, weld the chain to one end, inside the pipe, then put the pipe on "backwards" so the chain is running inside pipe, then put the lock inside the pipe, so they cant get the cutter to the lock. If the chain is big enough, it just wont be worth it.

Make a long bar with a holes in it, to match your hub, bend it to fit your wheel. Remove the lug nut on one wheel and bolt this long bar to the wheel.