Looking for a new truck

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LB7)' started by Bruised, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Bruised

Bruised Member

Hey guys! I signed up new to the forum and I wanted to ask your opinion.
    I'm looking at this http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...e=rollerena&car_id=235488886&dealer_id=567681
    I was just wondering if I should be afraid of the miles. The truck is in good shape except the bedsides are cracked. The interior is mint and so is the rest of the truck. It seems to run and shift great but should i be afraid?!

Thanks for any info!

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard bruised! That's roughly 40k miles a year on the truck. Does it have a goose neck or 5th wheel hitch in it? Has it had any performance upgrades? I had a buddy run the VIN through a dealership on mine and found out the service history. If the truck has been well maintained, its got another 200K left in the motor. If the trans is stock, your getting close a rebuild (JMHO). Any chance of talking to the previous owner, some times that info is still in the glove box. Then there is always CARFAX...

*If I were to buy that truck. I would change all the fluids and filters ASAP. That way if anyone doctored up anything. You should know before the dealership is no longer responsible...

Good Luck! waytogo

3. Bruised

Bruised Member

Yes it does have a a gooseneck hitch in it so I'm not sure what it was used for. I do have a buddy that is going to be running a carfax report on it for me. I had a 99 ford with the 6.8 in it and an auto that gave up on me. I had to get the auto rebuild and shortly after it was stolen. So needless to say I'm looking for a truck but I don't really want to dump more money into a tranny! I'm open to Chevy, Dodge and Ford but I really don't want a Ford with the 4r100 again! I don't hear good things about the 2nd Gen Dodge auto tranny either but I'm also looking at forum member fore-speeds Dodge with the roadmaster trans. So I'm up in the air but thanks for the help so far!

4. 97powerstroker

97powerstroker Active Member

a 99 ford with a 6.8,i think you meant to say 7.3 right,if not,lie to me and tell me you did,:) .maybe you should check out the older psd.you can get one in perfect shape for around 10k.mines a 97 with 156k on it and it runs great,its very reliable and will pull whatever i want.just a thought.goodluck on whatever you choose.waytogo

5. kasl33

kasl33 Member

That is a lot of miles, but if it was well cared for, it has a lot of life left. Make sure that you get a sample of the oil to check if there is any diesel in it. If there is none, then you are good there.

ONE THING though, I don't see what hear it is. If it is from the years between 2001 & 2004, check to see if the injectors have been replaced. The LB7 Duramax (which is what those years have) had a known injector problem and was covered until 200,000 miles.

I would think if the truck has 280,000 miles on it then it has already been through all of that by now.

6. Bruised

Bruised Member

Thanks for the replies guys but I went with a 2001 Cummins H.O. 6spd.

7. kasl33

kasl33 Member

Cummins makes a good motor. If the Duramax Diesel didn't exist, then I would have a Cummins too :)

8. Bruised

Bruised Member

Yeah tell everyone I have a Cummins not a Dodge!! I wish I could have a Cummins with an Allison tranny!