Looking for advice on Tow Vehicle / Toy Hauler

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by HuckJones, Jun 15, 2011.

1. HuckJones

HuckJones New Member

Hello,
    My family and I are looking to get into a new fifth wheel and are considering a toy hauler. The floor plan that would suit us best is the Keystone Raptor 365 LEV.

One issue I am concerned with is I think it might be a bit much for my truck. My tow vehicle is a Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab SLT 4x4 with 4:10 gears and a 6.7 Cummins Diesel. I've upgraded from the stock tires to a wider Nitto Terra Grappler (305/70-17) rated for 3640 lbs. With this trailer I would be within all specs except for payload. Listed payload cap. is 2970 lbs and the listed hitch weight for the Raptor is 2970 lbs. so I would definitely be over on payload but I believe I would still be under the 6200 lb rear GAWR and within the 16,7000 lb trailer weight cap. GCWR is 24,000 lbs. GVWR is 10,100 lbs. Shipping weight on the Raptor is 13253 lbs GVWR is 18,000 lbs but I don't plan on hauling close to that.

I'm not real comfortable with the pin weight but was hoping to get some tales of real world experience with this trailer and a mega cab or similar set up. The listed payload for the 2009 DRW 4x4 Mega is 2950 lbs so getting the dually would not have helped me capacity wise and I would find a different trailer before I would give up the mega cab. Just too used to the room now I guess.

Do you think the truck can safely handle this trailer?
    If I did get one I would be hauling empty quite a bit and using it as a storage/ playroom for my 2 kids. How would that affect the towing vs. a loaded box?

Thanks, Dave

2. transamz9

transamz9 Member

See if you can find out where the tanks are and such. The toy haulers are heavier on the pin without the load in the back to help balance. So I will say you'll be fine. I tow a 39' Sandpiper that the dry weight on the pin is 2175 and my tanks are in front of the axles. I usually have 2-300# of water at all times in mine. I also carry fire wood and extra fuel in the truck bed. I am doing it with a 2500 Quad cab Cummins.

Here is a link to my rig. It is the last one that has the bass boat hooked to the back.

https://towrig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45763#post45763

3. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I agree, I think you will be fine with your current rig.

LT.