looking for advice on upgrades

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by rreeve000, Nov 29, 2008.

1. rreeve000

rreeve000 New Member

I have a 05 Duramax and I want to improve my MPG and get a HP increase. What I am looking at doing is staying with the stock air intake system with a K&N drop in filter and stock pipe with an Aero 3535 muffler. I want to install an Edge juice with attitude. Are there any problems with this? When installing the muffler will i need to replace the pipe or will it be a simple swap with the stock muffler? What about going up to a 4" pipe will that be better than stock? Any advice is appreciated, I just want to keep my truck reliable and at the same time get a little more power. thanks for any advice.

2. RodZZilla

RodZZilla Well-Known Member

If you drink enough, you will forget it is Iowa
    My truck already had the aftermarket exhaust on when I purchased. Going to a 4" will help cool your EGT's. Swapping mufflers would be a good start. I don't know if the 3535 is a direct swap. I have heard good things about the Aero mufflers. I am considering a 5050 for mine. I talked to the previous owner of mine. He had a Edge on and liked it. I am running a PPE on the 90HP (Crank rating) setting. I have gotten 22 MPG hand calc. before. I usually cant keep from sticking the right foot down for a whole tankfull.:pimp: You will probably be better off sticking w/a stock element in your airbox and sealing it off from the engine compartment. This will pull cooler outside air. Another area to look at is the stock turbo inlet. There is a sharp bend there. I am running a ported version of the stock unit. I am getting ready to swap in a LBZ mouthpiece. I will have to cut the stock tubing until I can swap to the complete LBZ filter set up.

3. 1dieselsteve

1dieselsteve Member

your stock exhaust pipe is 3 1/2 inches in dia. and your muffler inside has baffles that is reduced to 2 1/4 inch in dia. if you were going with a chip it is extremely important to increase your air flow otherwise your gonna open up your wallet and turn it upside down. as far as the edge is concerned I would stay away duramaxes and edge don't mix a few of my friends have it and there constanly throwing check engine light.