Looking for everyones opinion

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by kferris, Oct 11, 2007.

1. kferris

kferris New Member

I am buying a new truck in the next couple weeks.

Ford - I 've had several powerstrokes in the past and havn't had any problems. Concerned about the new 6.4 and also heard nothing good about mpg on this engine.

Dodge - had a 05 cummins loved it.......any one has any reports of MPG on this with any mileage? On my 05 i didn;t get good mileage until 25,000 miles.

Chevy - I like the chevy....but I want a 3500 short box which they don't make in a SRW short box. I have a 37 foot bumper pull trailer with 1000 plus pound hitch weight and concerned if a 2500 could handle as well as the 3500.

Any thoughts or opionons would be great.

2. donnie

donnie Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally, Iv got an 05 sb and am getting around 18-20 with 37K on the clock.This is with a 4 spd and 3.73 gears.

3. kferris

kferris New Member

is it a 2x4 or 4x4?

Just curious if it's a 2x4 or a 4x4?

4. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

the new chevy/gms's stock reciever hitches can handle your trailer whether its 2500 or 3500. i have a 2500 and wouldnt think twice about that trailer behind it. i even have stock suspension. my vote is the chevy :pimp:

5. kferris

kferris New Member

cornmarine...question

If yours is a crew cab.....how does it compare in size to the mega cab? Do you specifics...I realize the mega cab is a little bigger. I do like the chevy..nicer interior,,,nicer features...better nav.... remote start..locking diff.

it's a tough choice...but i like the room of the mega cab.

decisions decisons

6. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

honestly all the mega cab is is a crew cab with storage behind the seat and it takes away tons of box room. the chevy crew cabs are real big and comfortable. i think you just told me why you want to buy a chevy anyway, ha. go with it:popcorn:

7. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

Im a dodge man, I have just over 28,000 on the clock. Getting 18-20 pretty much everywhere. Pulling a good load it drops to 13-14. I havent heard anything bad about the new powerstroke, I think Ford may have gotten it right again. How much are you wanting to spend also?

8. leaddog

leaddog New Member

What to choose

Ford is SUING International over warrnty payments for the 6.0 and 6.4. Must be a lot of warranty claims, huh? The Cummins is good if you have a dealer that will take care of your truck. Always a big deal. The Chevy/GMC comes with the Allison tranny, the best automatic bar none. The cab is smaller, but the mechanicals are top shelf. The development (aftrmarket) is just getting started on the Duramax now that the Ford/IH 7.3 is now history and I think there will be a lot of support for the Duramax/Allison now that this combo is the big kid on the block.

9. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I would wait untill Ford goes back in house building an more engines for the powerstroke line ie in 2010...

10. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

bout ford, their just suing on warranty claims for the 6.0, not the 6.4. and the ford crew cab is a few inches bigger then the gm crew cab. really you cant go wrong with any of em.

11. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Just as an opinion, if I were buying a new one at the moment it would be a GM. Im not just saying that cause Im a GM guy, but its the one having the least amount of problems. The Ford and Dodge arent bad at all, but their both new engines and havent got all the bugs worked out yet. I personally would stay away from Ford. When thy go out of warranty the will be a nightmare!! The Cab needs to be removed to really work on the engine!! You'll rack up a huge bill just working on the thing! Just my $.02 though. Power wise their all 3 so close it dosent matter. Buy what suits your needs!!waytogo

12. jake

jake Well-Known Member

13. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

just test drove the f-450 2008, nice truck not cheap, excellent ride and fit and finish....if you are not working very hard with the truck ford or gm will do...if you gonna pull lots of weight across the country and want true reliabilty i would say dodge, yes they are cheaper but take a beating...i run hotshot and %90 of the trucks are dodge...i would prefer the ford but cant afford down time when it comes to business.....

14. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    Go with the Dodge, I have a 94 with 1.8 million, my 04.5 is over 500K and all my 06's are over 250K. I have dually trucks, and empty I get 21 with just regular fuel, and when Iurn my Hydrogen System, (Usually) I get over 32 and my truck with not trailer weights 8650.

Cummins, and the new chevy rear end is better,cause It is what dodge has been using for a couple years, 11.5" rear end is pretty dang tough. Stay away from teh ford, one of my guys has an 08 with 90K and is on his 3rd motor. I can give you his number i fyou want to ask him what he thinks of Ford. ;)

15. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

I'm a little less than pleased with My dodge and the only reason I won't get another ford or chevy is the cummins engine I HATE MY SEATS and the interior is like a friggin minivan if ford would go to cummins or Chevy made a solid axle available I would switch in a heartbeat

Plus I just had my tranny replaced at 60,000 miles (under warranty but still down time hurts)

16. gbuddenhagen

what truck had tranny problems and please explain, thank you.....

17. yellowk20

Against my better judgement I bought a dodge with an automatic (48re) My truck isn't "bombed" but I do pull heavy with the programer set on performance (thats where I get the best mileage) at 59,685 miles the Tourqe convertor came apart and took out the whole front half of the tranny . leaving me and 18000 pounds of drill pipe stuck half way up St. Augustine pass in Las Cruces New Mexico:mad: :mad: :mad:

Now I realize that I was GROSSLY overloaded ,WITH power adders but I drive sanely my tranny temp never went over 230 degrees infact upon inspection fluid and cluthes still looked good.

I have loaded my Ford and wifes D-max with just as much weight (although they don't get the mileage or have the power the dodge does) and never had any issues out of either tranny

this combined with my utter hatred for my interior has made me like my dodge alot less lately

I'm seriously considering repowering my ford with CR Cummins and an NV5600

On one good side My Dealer has been jumping through hoops to make things right for me they let me take a 2008 3500 6.7 auto as a loaner ........... :cool: :cool:

18. gbuddenhagen

test drove the new dodge cummins as well, nice truck and trans...the 48re trans in our trucks in not all that bad, a good rebuild with a better tc and you should get plenty of miles out of it...thats what i am saving up for, dont want to be stranded out in the middle of no where too...i will probally over haul my tranny before summer thinking around 110,000 miles, its a good piece of mind...but i have also thought about upgrading to the new dodge as well, but for me it will be a lot of cheaper to pour $$$ into the truck i have now, probally play it by ear.....

19. yellowk20

My truck is still under warranty so I'm not gonna spend 6000.00 dollors beefing up the tranny to stand up to My "abuse" especially on a truck that I'm not very happy with to begin with. the new 6.7 was very nice but still and has the same "mini-Van interior as my truck

I'm kinda screwed I can't buy the truck that I want. I wish the Big 3 would start catering to Truck USERS instead of the soccer Mom contingent

20. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    truck 1 - 99 Ford 3500 PSD - traded in at 115,000
    truck 2 - 01, dodge 3500 CTD - traded in at 423,000
    truck 3 - 04.5 dodge 3500 CTD - traded in at 243,000
    truck 4 - 06 dodge 3500 CTD - currently 123,000 miles

wife - traded her 04 dodge 1500 hemi for a 04.5 dodge CTD.

With just an Edge chip the CTD is faster, and gets better mileage than the hemi. I liked the hemi at first, but its really just a waste of money.