mid 80s 6.2 for towing.

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by ryan10, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ryan10

ryan10 Well-Known Member

I am looking to get a mid 80s chevy 6.2 with a 4 speed for towing. I know this motor is not at all a powerhouse, but i want to be able to tow my k10 4 wheeling truck. and also maybe a bobcat sometimes. What type of power did these trucks make, and i know it would be a little sluggish, but would i be able to tow this? Also, can i get something for around 2500.

2. racecitymike

racecitymike Member

Ryan, This is of course a very opinionated question. Some may say sure you can and some may say your crazy. But if your looking for a personal opinion I will be glad to give you mine. I have owned a few 6.2's and have towed with and loved every one of them. Would I be happier towing with a brand new Dodge 3500 dual rear wheel mega cab with a cummins and a six speed.....ahhh....yeah. But I sure don't want the $800.00 + a month payment for the next 5+ years. I have towed with a th400 a 700r4 and a SM465 behind a 6.2, the SM465 (4 Speed) will deffinetly be your best choice if your main intention is to tow with it. You can deffinetly find a truck for $2500.00 0r less, if I were in your shoes I would try to find a 2wd long wheel base (dually would be great) with a 6.2 4 speed setup. Put some free flowing mufflers on it and turn the IP up 1/4 turn, and just make sure to maintain it like it is a $50,000.00 truck and you will get years of use out of it. My current 6.2 has 338,000 miles on the original block and heads, it has only had normal wear and tear parts changed (starter, alternator, etc.) The SM465 is also bulletproof so it's one less thing you would need to worry about. It may be slow getting you there but it will be great at the diesel pumps and reliable as could be if it's taken care of. Take your time and shop around for a while, I would try to find one that some old man owns rather than some construction company that has probbaly abused it. I hope this helps!
    waytogo Mike

3. ryan10

ryan10 Well-Known Member

6.2 for towing

Ok, thanks. I want a 4x4 thou. Did they make any 4x4 duallys with the 6.2. And yes i also want the sm465. Right now i am debating between two trucks, the chevy with a 6.2, or an old ford with a 6.9. which would be better?

4. racecitymike

racecitymike Member

I am a bigger fan of the 6.2 than the 6.9, but mind you I have never had a 6.9, just going by word of mouth on it. As far as the 6.2 thats from real expierience. You will have a lot harder of a time finding a one ton 4x4 in that price range, mainly because they come with a dana 60 up front and they are usually worth a lot more. Now you could go with a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 and a SM465 in that price range but you can forget the dually part. It wil still tow fine not being a dually its just not quite as stable, just try to make sure and get a long wheel base (long bed) truck, they tow much better than a short bed versions due. I too am a 4x4 fan but in your price range the 2wd seems more viable, also the lower it sits the better it will tow, and it will get better mpg's

5. ryan10

ryan10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. I have between 2500 and 3500 to spend, can i get something for this price range? I want the 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed, with a 465 and 3.73s. i also plan on putting on a free flowing exhaust, an intake mod, and turning up the pump. what should i have for power?

6. ryan10

ryan10 Well-Known Member

Also, from what i heard i want a j-code engine, how can i identify if it is a j-code or not.

7. ryan10

ryan10 Well-Known Member

ok, so i have been researching, and i know that it will not be a powerhouse, but with my intake, exhaust and turning up the pump, i will be able to keep up with traffic right? Also, with the sm465 and 3.73 gears i should be able to do 65-70 right? Also, have any of you towed cars or trucks, or equipment? how did it tow? With these mods, how would it be compared to a stock 89 dodge cummins?

8. racecitymike

racecitymike Member

Hello Ryan sorry I didn't get back to you right away I have been busy rebuilding my 700r4 not paying much attention to the computer. As far as the J-Code engine goes, basically that would be found in "heavy duty" versions of the truck, normally one ton but you might be able to find it in a 3/4 ton. These trucks did not have as much emmisions control on them, the main plus to them is that they do not have a giant egr valve in the center of the the intake manifold. You can easily see the difference between a j-code and non J-code by simply looking under the air cleaner housing either its wide open or blocked by that giant egr valve. If you do find what you are looking for in a non J-code engine truck don't sweat it, you can easily pick up a J-code intake on Ebay for usually around $100.00, sometimes more sometimes less. As far as comparing to a cummins, I guess if you compared a 6.2 with a free'd up exhaust, intake and turned up pump to an early "stock" non intercooled cummins (key word stock) they would be fairly close. Yes I have pulled cars, trucks, and some fairly heavy equipment with my 6.2's and they have done fine, again it's not a brand new 400hp 700 ft lb monster like they sell now but it will do the job, just treat her right. Don't over crank the fuel, keep the filters CLEAN and enjoy the 20 mpg's that the other guys dont get. They might pull faster going up hill but you will pass them at the diesel station while their filling up. As far as maintaining speeds of 65 and 70, you can do it. The ideal RPM range for a 6.2 at highway cruising speeds is between 1800-2800 rpm, obviously the lower the rpm in that range you get the better economy you will have but it will also mean more down shifting because you will lose speed everytime you hit a hill, even a small one. Try to keep your RPM's around 2200 at 70 mph and you should be ok. Some wuick math tells me that if you had 3.73 axle gears, with a 1:1 ration in fourth gear (SM465) and 31" tall tires at 70 mph you would be at 2830 RPM, if you increase your tire size to lets say a 32" (these are actuall diameters of the tires not what the sidewall says) at the same speed you would be at 2742, if you go to a 33" tire you would be at 2658, if you go to a 34" tire you would be at 2580, with a 35" tire you would be at 2507. And so on and so forth.if your primary goal is to tow, go with like a 33" tire, you will lose a few mpg's but have more power to tow. Hope this helps, feel free to ask away. Mike
    :D