Mitusa Mechanical Lift Pump! It Rocks!!!

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by Big Bob, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Big Bob

Big Bob Member

In my search for fuel supply, I have researched many different types of fuel systems. My initial thought was to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak by going with a PDR cam with a pump lobe on it. This way, I would not only save cost but have the cam for better EGT's, performance and economy, and also have plenty of fuel from a 12V mechanical pump. Problem is, on the 3rd gens, there is no holes for mounting a 12V mechanical pump, 2nd Gens (Willyslover has a PDR Cam and 12V pump on his truck) have the holes but not the 3rd Gens.

I knew I really didn't want to go with an electric pump, eventually brushes would burn out and have to be replaced or the pump would either fail or burn up leaving me stranded. Been there and done that with the White Obsession (my former 99 CTD truck) more times than I can count.

For the last 3 months I have been a Beta Tester for a "NEW" mechanical lift pump for the 2nd and 3rd gens. It Rocks!! I am extremely impressed with this system. I have had no issues at all with it!

First let me tell you what's in the kit.

New cap for fuel filter (because of the pressure and a fuel line runs in the top of it)
    All fuel lines and fittings
    Mitusa pump with mounting bracket, bolts and belt
    adjustable regulator
    Fuel shutoff solenoid

This system utilitizes your stock fuel filter and the stock electric lift pump for initial pressure. When fuel pressure reaches 12 or so pounds the fuel solenoid turns your stock electric lift pump off and you are running on the Mitusa. It is designed with a wire to run inside your truck that you can hook a LED light up to, this will light-up when the stock electric lift pump is running and once the system has reached about 12#'s the light goes out. This way, if the Mitusa blows a belt or something the light will come on letting you know that there is a problem, but it will not leave you stranded because you will have your stock electric lift pump to run on.

The fuel lines attach to your standard pickup out of your fuel tank. At this time, the option of replacing the fuel tank pickup has not been developed or talked about. It may be an option in the future. Not exactly sure how the Mitusa will work with the intank pumps, but I sure the developer will have a fix for it in the future!

I am running 20.5#'s at an idle, I cruise 70 MPH down the highway at 23+#'s and at WOT on 5x5 with the Hot Juice I can only pull it down to 16#'s. My pressures are measured right off the CP3. I also still have the stock banjo bolts except the one on the CP3 where I install my fuel pressure line. I have a mechanical DiProcal fuel pressure gauge.

My understanding is that this system can produce as much as 100 PSI!

This pump has been designed by someone almost everyone knows, for years he has designed and marketed billet shaft for transmissions! Yes it is Opie. He is putting together a dealer network and I'm sure within a short period of time you will get a list of the dealers for you purchasing pleasure! Everyone that knows Opie, knows how meticulous he is in anything he designs. This product is no different! It is an extremely clean mounting system and well thought out.

I highly recommend the Mitusa, I feel this is the answer to our lift pump problems.

I might also mention, he make them for the DuraMax's also!

2. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    What are the flow #'s?

I plan on a modded CP3 and they can pull 150gph FASS units down to 0 on high TST settings stacked with an EZ.

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Member

Don't know if that will be a problem. Reason being, the faster the engine turn to more fuel the Mitusa pumps. Again, the pressure can be raised for even more fuel.

I don't have the flow #'s. I was Beta testing for fit, reliability, and for performance with my 500 HP.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Member

A picture is worth a 1000 words!
    New fuel filter cap:
    [​IMG]
    Cog belt driven off the crank:
    [​IMG]
    Mitusa installed with mounting bracket:
    [​IMG]
    Don't quote me but I think this will be priced to compete with the FASS and Air Dog.
    Also talked with Opie today about flow numbers. Open flow (no pressure, this is the way that all electric pumps are rated) is 136 gal per hr. Flow at 100 PSI is 65 gal per hour. He is going to send me the flow numbers with the setup on my truck which is 20.5 psi at an idle. He also told me he is having the Mitusa Beta Tested on a couple of 1000 HP trucks. He should have some feedback on those truck in a month of so.
    He also has the plumbing for the trucks with the intank lift pump figured out. Everything will be available shortly!

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Member

6. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member

Big Bob do you still have this pump on your truck and is it still working great? also, i can not find where to buy this.