More HP out of a stock 6bt?

Discussion in 'Dodge 1st Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Jan 26, 2006.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    How do you get more horsepower out of the rotary pump on an early mechanical Cummins?

2. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
  3. Binky

Binky Member

Increase HP ideas for First Gen.

Hi,
    Ok, I am new here and while I am looking for advice I thought I would share what I do know.
    So the easiest ways to increase hp in the first generation is better air flow....hence my other thread about air induction...and of course better flowing exhaust....decrease back pressure.
    I know that bd-power.com offers a smaller turbo housing. It seems the '91 and other early models had an increased housing (read somewhere it had something to do with emissions possibly) and that is a big cause of the turbo lag. I don't have any personal experience with it yet, but when the pocket book allows I sure will.
    My First Gen. doesn't have an intercooler, so that's another way to increase hp. There are multiple aftermarket intercoolers available.
    I mean there is no computer, so no chips can help. Reading around this site and others, there are ways to increase fuel pressure and amount....oh yeah I have found better fuel injectors that are available. I'll consider it when the ones I have need replacing.
    Anybody else? What other ideas?

4. CumminsKing72

CumminsKing72 Member

injector pump

I would like to increase power on my 93 CTD but i am afraid b/c ive heard that if you turn the smoke screw too much the engine will be trashed and all the carbon build up on the valves and the pistons doesn't help. But still I would like to dump a cloud every now and then. Ive tried putting pure oil in my fuel tank and nothing happened.

5. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Propane !!

My dad's 93 W250 has a 20# bottle in the toolbox. It's a Bully Dog set-up. Can't seem to get any response from them by E-mail as to wether or not they still carry this product or not, so I guess I'll have to break down and call them.

6. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I know a guy who can tell you all you want to know about them. He's a walking book of knowling. Give keith a call at: Forest City Diesel, St. James, MO, 1-573-265-5595.

7. LOGANSTANFORTH

LOGANSTANFORTH Member

8. 1dieselsteve

1dieselsteve Member

[Does your dad have a turbo on his truck or not. He may not have the right propane kit for his truck.

quote=sshewins;38142]My dad's 93 W250 has a 20# bottle in the toolbox. It's a Bully Dog set-up. Can't seem to get any response from them by E-mail as to wether or not they still carry this product or not, so I guess I'll have to break down and call them.[/quote]

9. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    More fuel = more power on a diesel motor... better airflow will just allow you to turn the fuel up more.

10. LOGANSTANFORTH

LOGANSTANFORTH Member

more dosent fuel always equal power, if your black smoking like a freight train then your not using your fuel efficently, efficency is the key to power on a diesel.......

11. LOGANSTANFORTH

LOGANSTANFORTH Member

a 12 or 14cm housing is the ticket, if your going to do an intercooler in the truck be prepared to be spending alot of money to do it, your looking at 800-1200 for a aftermarket intercooler then all the work to make it fit the stock non-intercooled core support, injectors will help the truck but only if you have the proper air flow, oh and get a pyrometer gauge atleast, especially on a non-intercooled truck.....also look into water/methanol injection if you dont go intercooled.....

your engine wont build up carbon, ive taken engines apart with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and they look brand new inside, fully built competition engines with alot of runs on them are also clean inside.....and unless you put so much fuel to it and hold it wide open long enough to sustain 1400+ degree EGT's for more than 10-15 seconds, its gonna be hard to melt the engine......oil will do nothing but make the truck smoke light blue at idle, trust me, i ran used oil in my 90 model......

propane fuel kits are a great addition to a diesel, propane kits that add power arent the best way to go personally, i prefer nitrous, its alotmore stable fuel....

[/quote]

all cummins TURBO diesel's that came in dodge rams were turbocharged, the only non-turbo diesel engine offered in a full size dodge truck was the old mitsubishi diesel from the late 70's and early 80's, its no where near the same standard as the cummins......

12. DEMON

DEMON Well-Known Member

so every ones on the same page...nitrous is not a fuel. Nitrous is an oxidizer. Nitrous will not burn on its own.

and totally agree, Nitrous is a far better choice than propane for a diesel engine.

Propane is for BBQs. nitrous is for engines.