muffler or strait pipe?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by cumminspower572, Feb 18, 2008.

1. cumminspower572

cumminspower572 Active Member

I have the dual 4" mbrp exhaust noe but not really happy about it looks on the truck. I just want to know if any of you have a true strait thru exhaust and if its loader than just the bbrp exhaust with no cat.

2. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

I had an mbrp strait through with the cat. Ran it for a year and half. Didnt like it. Now I run a strait pipe with no cat. Love it, its loud as all hell but I like that. I had a guy ask me if my truck was a gasser with the mbrp....I didnt like the way it sounded when you had the truck wound up either.

3. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a full turbo back 4'' strait pipe for my exhaust. I love how it sounds just as long as you don't drive too fast on the freeway; anything above about 2000 rpm gives a pretty loud drone.

4. 06MegaCab

06MegaCab Well-Known Member

Media:
    mine will be straight through by saturday :cool:

5. cumminspower572

strait pipe

How loud is it when your pulling a heavy load? Also when did you guys find hangers?

6. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    When I had my 3rd gen strait piped, it was very annoying and loud while towing a trailer. If you tow all the time I would definitely get a muffler. If you just cruise around empty most of the time like me strait pipe is tolerable.

7. cumminspower572

I went with the flat band style clamps when i put this exhaust system on the truck 4 the ease of removal so i'll be able to swap the strait pipe in for the muffler when i'm mt and put the muffler back on for those long heavy load road trips.

8. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

On my 03 I did 5" from the turbo back to a 20" Donaldson and out the stock location. 5" made it a deeper tone and the muffler keeps it down while towing.

9. 06MegaCab

06MegaCab Well-Known Member

Media:
    Mine is straighted from the turbo back, no cat, no muffler.....thing sounds MEAN

Doesnt make much more noise than stock when you reach speed and maintain it.....its only loud when youre gettin on it

and the exhaust absolutely SETS OFF the dowloader i put in it

10. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

I have a strait pipe with the CAT still in place and when I am not towing it is not bad but when I pulled the trailer from PA to WY it was pretty loud and I got real tired of it. I ended up useing my sound canceling head phones. The sound bounces off of the trailer back to the cab.