Need New Rubber

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am going to be in need of new rubber on the CTD soon. I have crossposted this on several forums to get a broad spectrum of experience and opinions.

I do alot of highway driving (40K+/year) and sometime make trips threw the Colorado mountains. I need a tire that is going to get some good mileage 40K+ (hopefully 50K+) and have good winter traction also. I have a few canidates in mind but want to hear from the crowd on what has worked well for them. I am looking for something in the 265 or 285 size. I won't buy anything from Firestone/Bridgestone due to past troubles with there junk. I currently run Firestone Transforce AT's cause they were new on the truck when I bought it but they are only going to get about 35-40K tops out of them. My current canidates are:

BF Goodrich Commercial Tractions (not standard commercials)
    Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Let me hear what you think & have experienced. Thanks

Harley

2. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ive never had a single problem with Michelin, I feel they are the best tire out there for 99% of applications most consumers see. Maybe check out some of their tires such as the LTX M/S

3. CB

CB Well-Known Member

Media:
    What type of problems have you had from Firestones? I know they got some real bad publicity that was deserved from the whole ford explorer problem. I am currently running the Firestone Destination AT 285s and i really like them so far. I have gotten really good traction in the dessert terrain here in Vegas. Both sand and the rocks. Haven't had them in the mud or snow yet and I haven't had any problems in what rain they have been in. The main reason I got them was because I got a really good deal on them during a tire sale on base. Just curious what problems you have encountered.
    239351.jpg

4. Hossbaby50

Media:
    My dad used to have a '92 Ford F350, 4x4, dualcab, longbed, gasser. He bought the truck with some pretty new Bridgestone rubber on them. The truck was bought from a friend so it wasn't a bad deal with a lying PO. The PO used to tow a 2 horse trail with the truck so he put on the top of the line E rated towing tires.

Within about 6 months we had 2 of the tires seperate and blowout at highway speed (55-70mph). The first one blewout and we thought it was just a fluke thing, no big deal. Then a second one blew out a few months later it was the last straw. No more 'Stones for me. I was driving during the second blowout and it was not a fun thing to have happen. It wasn't just a tire going flat at 65mph it was a tire starting to shake then pow, massive seperation. Neither tires were small problems either, they both totally self destructed.

The funny thing is it can't be blamed on a bad batch either. When we bought the truck the PO had 2 tires that were a little older then the others by a few months. One of each seperated.

After that the truck got BFG's and never looked back.

Harley

5. Hossbaby50

Media:
    P.S. These 2 Bridgestones went out about the same time Firestone was having all the problems with the explorers. Ever since then I won't touch them. I run them now because they were new on the truck like I said but I won't pay for another set. I actually kept money aside for a new set of tires in anticipation of another possible problem with 'Stones. Sofar so good but I have been burned once and won't pay to have them burn me again.

Harley

6. '05 2500HD

'05 2500HD Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is the only tire I will run on my road vehicles now. This is the 6th vehicle running these tires and I never once had a blowout or even a flat. Usually get 50-60 K out of 'em as long as you rotate religously and run proper pressures.

7. Hossbaby50

Media:
    I am actually looking into michelins also along with the BFG's and Wranglers.

Harley

8. jac6695

jac6695 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Third recommendation for these. They don't cost much more then comparable tires, and wear like iron, and handle well. My brother has an '03 Duramax CC LB, tows a 3 car trailer mostly local around Washington DC/Baltimore area, and has over 80,000 miles on his set of 265 load range E Michelin's, and they are still legal. He has a new set waiting to go on the truck when needed, or bad weather sets in. Not much of an all terrain tread, but a good compromise.

9. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I will throw one in for the BFG ATs. I have them on my jeep, 3/4 ton and just put a set on my puny work truck about an hour ago. I will never buy another tire for multi-purpose use. I have 20k+ on the set on my jeep and they look like they are just broken in. they have great all-season and off-road traction as well as terrific street manners...not to mention that they look awesome.

we had michelin LTX M/S's on our suburban once when I was growing up and they were the worst tires I have ever seen. they had horrible traction, looked wimpy, wore out fast, and squeeled around every corner. that truck got BFG ATs
    However that was just my experience...they seem to have alot of satisfied customers but I will never own them again

10. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Here is another vote for the BFG AT's. I just put 315's on my 3/4 ton and I love how they look. Couldn't tell you how good the wear is but they have really good traction.

11. 502_Jimmy

502_Jimmy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Michelin LTX M/S or BFG A/T

12. astevenson

astevenson Active Member

Media:
    I run the BFG comercial terain tires on my dually. They have allways worked for me.

13. jht149

jht149 Member

Ive run bfgs on mine before and just had a hell of a time keeping them balanced...I switched to the procomp all terrains in 285's and im on my second set now..they wear well and stay balanced...I got 42k on the last set and thats with just about all mountain driving, they warranty them for 50k..check em out at 4wheelparts.com.

14. wheelin66bronco

wheelin66bronco Well-Known Member

I'm about to put a set of 315's on my F-350, Trying to decide between BFG MT's and Toyo MT's. What is the BFG commercial grade tire?
    I ran a set of 31 BFG AT's on my tacoma and got 60K plus out of them. I'm hoping to get 40K+ out of the MT's.

15. MJK

MJK Member

I have BFG AT's in 285 size. I have over 40k on them and they still look great. Probably another 15k left. I know guys have gotten 60k+ out of them with proper maint. (rotation etc)
    The only downside to them is that they are only D-rated so it depends on what you are hauling.