New 6.2L V8 Performance

Discussion in 'GM Gas Engine Rigs' started by ringostar, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ringostar

ringostar New Member

I'm wanting to be schooled on the 6.2L V8 for the '09 chevy 1/2 4x4 Crewcab trucks.

I'm about to order a new truck and can either get the 6.2 or the 5.3 and am wondering which would be better over all? Unfortunately it looks like I may have to have 3.42 gears.

Also what kind of MPGs is the 6.2L getting and how well does it tow?
    I have searched and if there are threads with this info please post.

Thanks,
    Rankin

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 Active Member

Kind of a late post, but...

Unless things have changed for 09, the 5.3 will be your standard 1/2 ton truck, with a 10 bolt rear axle, and the 6.2 will only be available in the Vortec Max trucks that have the 14 bolt SF rear, as well as a beefier tranny, etc.

My 07 5.3 has plenty of power empty, and gets anywhere from 15-20 unloaded with 3.23's. I would assume the newer engines might do a touch better, maybe, but the extra displacement is going to use a little more fuel if you get the 6.2, plus the newer style trucks are heavier to boot.

If it were up to me, I would get the 6.2 and the deepest gearing available. A friend of mine has an 08 GMC K2500 with the 6.0 and 6 speed, and he gets a minimum of 14 MPG hauling a light plant (probably 1500 lbs), and 16+ not towing in mixed Phoenix metro driving, he's got almost 100K on it and has not had one problem or complaint.