nv4500 5th gear fix article

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by sweetk30, Feb 12, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 Well-Known Member

2. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    A friends 01 dodge just lost 5th. It comes and goes. Plan is to just tighten nut then put a spot weld on.

3. sweetk30

reason i found it was i got a salvage yard 4500 tranny. has a small hole in back cover. wanted to make sure i wasnt opening a big can of worms when i remove it to have it tiged back shut. i think i will weld the nut in a spot or 2 when its off so i dont have that problem.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Good post, I'll make it a sticky for the 12v guys since it's a popular trans behind it.waytogo

5. txdieselsmoker

txdieselsmoker Member

I'd just slap another nut on it and put it back together.

The nut is what? $27?
    Mine usually stay put for 40K miles or better. When it comes off, I pull the tail section, replace the nut and put it back together.

I just figure it as regular maintainence. Besides, it's about the time I need to change my tranny fluid anyway.

6. CTD NUT

CTD NUT Well-Known Member

Media:
    Tack welding simply doesn't work.....the gear will come loose again. If you are running a lot of power and/or tow heavy, a new nut will not hold for long, either. Once the gear has worked itself loose under load, the damage has already been done. If you really want to know how to fix the 5th gear problem, why it fails and to dispel the myths....look here : http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500%205th%20Gear%20Failures%20and%20Solutions.htm#Nut_Woes

Aside from getting the properly revised OEM 5th gear assembly, Quad 4x4 has the only proper fix for the problem that I have come across - these guys know their stuff! It isn't the cheapest route to go but certainly the most durable.

7. sweetk30

sweet thats what i am talking about. waytogo :popcorn: :pimp:

8. jimduchek

jimduchek New Member

From quad4x4.com: The bottom line is: if you need a shaft and you can't afford a*Torque KingĀ®*Shaft Set, then, full spline shafts are the only other option despite the drawbacks.
    Note: Torque KingĀ® Shafts are No Longer Available.