Oil pressure guage

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LLY)' started by bowtieBrian, Nov 28, 2007.

1. bowtieBrian

bowtieBrian Member

Has anyone had this happen to them ... in the morning after letting the engine warm up, and driving a few miles down the road have the oil pressure guage drop to zero when stopped at a light? When driving it reads in the 30s, but at idle it's 0 .. but after turning the engine off for a few min and restarting is reads normal. I had the oil changed at the dealership and they tried to tell me that that is normal for the Duramax. Any thoughts or ideas on what/how to test the sending unit? any other suggestions?
    Brian

2. RodZZilla

RodZZilla Well-Known Member

If you drink enough, you will forget it is Iowa
    Mine does not go down to 0, but it does go to about 15 at idle. From what I have read, that is about normal. Scary, but normal. I haven't looked to see if there is a spot that could be tapped for a mechanical guage for piece of mind. I have also had issues w/electrical senders on both GM and Chrysler products.

3. bowtieBrian

bowtieBrian Member

well .. the problem has been solved .. to the tune of $400! Saturday while out and about the speedo decided to do it's own thing (kinda fun to be driving around with a speedo that says 120mph) - well, long story short - a new instrument cluster later both the speedo and the oil pressure gage works.