Opinions and Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Dodge Gas Engine Rigs' started by opcruzer, Apr 3, 2006.

1. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

I currently have a 2001 1/2 ton with 360, auto, 4x4, 3.55s, and its a nice truck and all but I buy more gas than I want to. The toys we drag around are a, 2000lb sled trailer, 2000lb trailer with bikes, boat (2500lb or so) flatbed with a car or small skid loader or other misc stuff(2500-6500). The main gripe is when we take sledding trips either 400 mile (one way) ones to the black hills of south dakota or to the mountians (600-900 miles, one way) depending on the weather I can only pull out of o/d and at about 70 the tach is at about 2900rpm or so which leads to 8-9 mpg and if the wind is not in my favor 6-7. I am only towing 2000lbs someone is going to say and yes but that 2000lb trailer has a 42" tall by 96" wide salt/wind shield on it so its a little something to drag around. I have looked into a diff gear swap and other things to improve mileage but none have really done much. I have changed everything i can think of for maintenance items (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, k/n drop in filter, syn diff oil, and I stay on top the other fluids as well). I think I am fighting a loosing battle here though.
    I have been looking at 99-01 cummins trucks and am looking for real world opinions on the mileage and power. I am expecting to use an edge or similar box with exhaust and maybe a couple other things like a tonneau cover or maybe injectors to hopefully get about 17-20 highway and about 14-17 towing once modded out. I am looking for opinions on if this is realistic or not.
    And another thing the 2 place sled trailer is gonna be a 4 place next year hopefully and then later hopefully a 4 place enclosed.
    So come one come all and let it fly.

2. Torquer

Torquer Well-Known Member

Media:
    You are fighting a losing battle with the gasser. Just no real way to improve mpg significantly - other than maybe a supercharger/turbo. Even then...........

A 24V Cummins will net you real world numbers like you quoted. I personally get close to 20 each and every tankful (summer blend) - hand calculated and tire size adjusted - with my '01.5 with 3.54 gears and 35" tires (along with a leveling kit which I mention only for the negative effect on slipstream). This a mix of probably 70% highway driving. That was with an Edge EZ as my only 'Bomb'. It'll tow anything you listed up a hill at whatever speed you want...........that is a true story. Now I have a Smarty (ECM reprogrammer) so not sure on mileage yet.

Power form your 360 to the Cummins is like you went from a 4 cylinder car to a big block hot rod. No kidding, especially with a Bomb or two...........

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You have responses on this topic in two other threads in the gas forum.

Like I said in your other thread, you shouldn't be towing in OD nearly at all. It is hard on the transmission as it builds more heat than it would in 3rd. Even if your Ram had a Cummins, you'd still have to pull it out of OD if it had a stock 47RE auto.

2900RPM's isn't much at all pulling the hill, I usually run our gas trucks 3-4,000RPM's up hills depending on the load and conditions. 8-9mpg doesn't sound all that bad pulling grades with a small 2 place sled trailer, in fact thats decent.

Forget swapping gears, that costs $1200 to do both front and back diffs.

I honestly think you are expecting a little too much out of your truck, it's a 360small block and it has to rev up to build power, that means no OD of course and if you are pulling hills at 70mph you are right at, if not speeding anyway. For the truck, even the mileage sounds pretty decent. I'd say it's doing a decent job for you.

Stepping up to a 3/4 Ram with an ISB under the hood isn't exactly the answer either. You can get 19-20mpg on the highway empty and 15-16 in town. With your 2 place you'd get 17-18 on the highway. This is with a stock truck too, as this is what I have gotten. The difference is what the two trucks cost, what everything costs that you want to do like exhaust, a fueling box, and a new built tranny that you didn't mention because you'll need it.;)

You will still have to pull the hills in 3rd gear with an auto when pulling a trailer, so no difference there.

If your main thing is mileage, meaning money, then a new bigger and more expensive truck doesn't sound like the solution. No matter what you would have more money into a diesel Ram than you would just keeping your current truck. I don't think an ISB could ever recoop the extra cost of the truck and all those mods with just slightly better mileage than your 1/2 ram.

I honestly wouldn't change anything, 1/2tons are fine unless you get into the 7K+ weight range. Even that you have a 4 place trailer in mind, I think your 1/2 would do just fine, especially if it's not enclosed. Our 1/2 burb does fine with our big heavy Interstate 4 place.

while I like my ISB Ram with our sled trailer, if that was the only trailer I had I wouldn't own a much more costly 3/4t diesel.
    [​IMG]

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ok, after reading through some of your other posts, it sounds like you are pretty gung hoe on getting a diesel. Can't blame you, they are a blast to drive.

But pertaining to the thead, if you feel you can justify the much larger OVER ALL cost of a Ram cummins over your current truck than go for it.waytogo Just remember you aren't really pulling anything that is out of your current rig's capabilities.;)

5. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

The last big trip we took to the mountains, was to colorado and it was about 900 miles one way, maybe more, and I think I had to stop 5 or 6 times to fill up and at 45-50 bucks a shot and an average of 7-8 miles to the gallon I think I can start to recoop the costs but never fully I am sure. We also took three trips to the black hills which was abut 800 miles round trip.
    Also to be able to just get out and set the cruise at about 80 would be worth it especially if and when we step up to a 4 place or larger enclosed. In south dakota the wind always blows and always in a different direction so that is another thing that kills my mileage, especially when towing, do you guys get alot of wind in your area?

6. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

I have talked to different tranny rebuilders that have said as long as the truck will pull it in o/d let it pull, or feather it with your foot when you get to hills, which in south dakota is all over.

7. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

One a side note I have pulled all of this with my fathers 2005 gmc 1500 and its a night and day difference, he has a little more power and 3.73s and it gets better mileage and rides nicer and pulls harder. I hate to say it but that is more of what I think I am looking for. Also the tow/haul button really makes a diffence on the gmc.

8. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

If you like the GM give Ford a try I get 18 mpg with my 5.4 and can go up to 15K my wifes yota has a 4.7 getting 30 mpg and can handle 11k both have to be driven very ligthly with the throtle to obtain those numbers.