Opinions on the TST Powermax CR chip

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by JOE 600, Dec 21, 2005.

1. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

Im looking at getting a TST Powermax CR Chip for my 05 cummins and was wonderin if anyone has experienced the chips or has any knowlege on them. Soo any info in appriciated.

2. mossertrucking

mossertrucking Well-Known Member

I put one on a 04 made good power but to much for the factory clutch and the customer blew up his turbo i have on my 05 and have had real good luck. jr

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    THe TST is about the best there is for the 3rd gens. Edge is the best for the 2nd gens but the TST box is better on the late models. THe TST has a lot more adjustment, besides that it makes a bunch more power too. We have a write up all about that module on the home page.

4. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

After some research and deliberation, I chose the TST (R48 I believe it is, the one with basic guages built in). This one has capability to back down fueling when a user defined exhaust gas temperature is reached, and is capable of ridiculous power with the appropriate mods. I like it because it's a box you can grow into as you upgrade the rest of the components (fuel pump, turbo, etc) to gain the ability to use the higher levels.

5. DPDIESEL

DPDIESEL Well-Known Member

Media:
    TST gives the most power but it really just depends on what you are looking for.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
  7. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

Dose the TST make the truck smoke too much?
    on low and high settings?
    thanks

8. willyswanter

Media:
    It will definately make it smoke. I can put out a pretty good cloud on 4/3. I haven't gone over 5/5 due to the stock clutch and turbo. I try to stay out of it though to not draw attention. In 4th gear is when it makes the most, quite a bit in 5th though to.

Heres a vid of tomeyguns 03 with a tst, edge, and a larger turbo:

http://tomeygun.com/misc/smokevid/524hp.AVI

http://tomeygun.com/misc/smokevid/526hp.MPG

You could also crank it up to 9/9 and it will smoke really good for a few seconds till you blow the turbo apart...

9. JOE 600

JOE 600 Member

what do u guys think of the bully dog downloader with "CRAZY LARY" The TST sounds like tho chip for me but i just thought id research around before i make my decision

10. DPDIESEL

Media:
    The BDDL is a very nice product. It doesn't make as much power as the TST but you do get the ability to scan and erase your DTC codes. You can get either of them with the gauge, but the TST has the turbo cool down timer. So each of them has there good and bad points. I think you would be happy with either of them.

Bryan

11. lrbello

lrbello Member

i got a buddy with an 05 and the tst. he had it at 9\9 and hot rods it every where. the only issue he had was starving for fuel. None of this blowing the turbo apart. It max out at 43 psi

I have a 99 with the tst and 300 hp inj Scary horsepower but i really need to upgrade my clutch

12. willyswanter

Media:
    Umm yeah tell him good luck with that.

13. DPDIESEL

Media:

14. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

my god I would hate to see his EGTs....

To put his TST Powermax to 9/9 my buddy installed a Piers Diesel Twin Turbo Kit, a 95GPH pusher pump(wishes he got 150GPH), and a pulling clutch. It was the only way to keep the truck in one piece.(well a big single turbo would probably do it as well)

15. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    The TST will supply a ton of fuel. However, to use the full potential of it you will need more parts. Larger turbo, exhaust, intake, and some sort of aftermarket lift pump. You may even need a modded CP3 to use 9x9.
    However, if you have the control, it is an awesome box for mileage due to the increase in timing. The nice thing is you can adjust it for what ever you want. The BDDL Crazy Larry program isn't adjustable. And it takes about 15-30 minutes to change. Personally, I love my TST.

I can gaurantee your buddy is draining the fuel rail and running HOT AS H#$*! Your turbo is definetly being overdriven and will complain eventually. As for the rail, well, the rail pump (cp3) will be headed south, and the lift pump the same direction. I think your buddy will be having a lot of problems with that truck unless he learns about moderation.

16. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have the edge installed on my truck and, honestly, I dont think I'd want too much more power... i guess the tst would be the better choice if you are lookin to bomb your truck. As for me... I just want a bit more passing power and the edge is more then sufficient for that... and my transmission agreesrotfl

17. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Thats where moderation is a virtue. I, on the other hand, have none, so let the boming continue!waytogo

18. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Those TST PMCR's are pretty darned impressive, your truck FLY's.... If I had a 3rd gen I would get a PMCR over Edge.

19. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

The last I had read about the TST, I thought it wouldn't defuel at all. But, if it is true that you can set your EGT limit now, maybe I will have to take a second look. We still have have our EZ, and that seems to be the perfect stack. After the aftermarket turbo of course, too many choices out there.

20. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Just wait till this weekend!! I am installing twins, Full Billet Suncoast parts, and 40lb FASS 150 with 100hp injectors right now. My tires are going to hate me!!!
    Oh, and there's a TST under there somewhere telling it what to do!:pimp: