Overloaded

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by fuzz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. fuzz

fuzz New Member

On my 08 250 SD diesel, the door post sticker says rear axle rating is 6100# w LT 275/65R18 load range E tires at 70 psi, but tires claim 3415# each [6830, for 2 on that axle] at 80 psi.

According to the scale, I've got 7200# on that axle from my 5th wheel.

I've found
    275/70R18 LR E max 3640 [also Continental tires] that would get me over 7200# on tires, but what is next? Axle failure at 6500? spring failure at 6700?

What can I do to run 7200 safely?

2. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

The safest thing to do is buy a 3500 DRW truck. If that is out of the question I would think about upgrading to 19.5 rims and tires (rickson.com). Then throw some air bags on it for stability. As far as the axle rating you will still be overloaded. Make sure when you pack your trailer you move everything to the rear of the trailer to get as much weight off the kingpin as possible.Make sure that your Fifth wheel hitch is in the correct position (4 inches in front of the rear axle.) If this is off it may not be putting enough weight on the front axle and to much on the rear axle. I am sure others will chime in and offer so other good advise. Good Luck and be safewaytogo

3. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

What is really amazing is that with the trucks overloaded, per the manafacture, if you don't get too out of hand the rigs handle the extra weight well. 2007cumminz has a nice thread started about how easy it is to over load a truck and yet still look and feel like it would be able to handle more. You may also want to make sure you have, or could install, a rear sway bar. Not that this will make it able to hold more weight but, it may make your rig more stable. I can not tell you for sure, this is just a thought. I have one on the back of my dually and the loads sure do feel stable. Also you may want to see about an exhaust brake to aid in your stopping abilities. It will do you no good to be able to haul more than your truck is rated for if you cannot stop it safely. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

LT.

4. J&L

J&L Guest

isn't the rear axle the same axle as a F350 SRW truck or possibley the DRW truck also ? My point is for safety sake run the tire that supports your pin weight. Now if your hauling commercial/DOT per FMCSA then the trucks 6100 RAWR is what DOT will weigh the trucks rear axle at. Tires will need to be equal or better than than RAWR. At 7200 lb your in one ton DRW country.
    Can you run overloaded safely. I've driven with a CDL/DOT legal to many years to touch that question.
    JIM

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Yeah you can run safe overloaded just watch yourself.

6. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

7. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Good link.

8. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Active Member

Ricksons are on back order for some indefinite amount of time. I have been looking at them and I don't know when they will be available per the web site.

9. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

... and make sure your insurance is up to date !!

10. 1 WAY 2 GO

1 WAY 2 GO Member

Media:
    Overloading SRW Axle F250

I find myself in the same position. I have just ordered a new 5th wheel & according to my initial calculations, the pin weight will put me overweight by at least 1200# (GVWR). I won't know the final results until spring. I'm
    having air helper springs installed next week, to level truck.
    What, if any problems have you experienced with your situation so far?
    I'm sure there are many many people out there towing 5th wheel trailers
    in the 11k to 12k range with 3/4 ton SRW trucks. I'm hoping to get some
    feedback from experienced owners.

11. reelbum

reelbum New Member

I just found this site, and was looking for info for hot shots..I posted in different section about ford 6.o and tried to get back, answereing someone else, came here! Anyway, here goes,. I had horse trailer using farm tag which allowes me to go 150 miles, no wieght constraints. Due to hauling stallion to stand in different state, (350) miles away, I had to get class a cdl to haul trailer. Now is the interesting part, I have to contact ford, vin # for them to print readout for gvwr to take to Pa. dot to get a combp licence for $500.00. ford says the 2004 4 dooor 6.0 dually diesel can only leagally haul #23,900 That is what I can register at. In past, could put whaterver combo weight you wanted, now dot requires written verification from ford dealer for weight before the dot will combo tag!
    I have chance to lease on to nATIONAL CO. AS HOT SHOT, BUT HAULING ABOUT #11,000.00 POUNDS will make $???.
    will be running mid atlantic area.
    Any ideas ??????

12. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Go to www.hotshothauling.com and ask around. Nothing but experienced hotshotters on there.